Reviewing the program after "growth spurt"

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
karen15

Reviewing the program after "growth spurt"

Post by karen15 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:51 pm

Hi everyone. I went through the program back in the 90s, and I've recently gone through a lot of circumstances that have led me to have what Lucinda refers to as "a growth spurt." Due to some of the circumstances I've lived through recently, I went from being fully functioning and fully recovered, to a complete return to my agoraphobic ways -- even being afraid to leave my room. It's humbling and embarrassing….

Anyway, I'm now reviewing the materials, and I'm amazed that after only five weeks I have made great progress. It's literally like listening to this information for the first time. And I now realize that I now come to the program with deeper insight into myself than ever before. So, I just wanted to say hello and that I'm glad I knew where to turn when I needed help.

thomas54

Re: Reviewing the program after "growth spurt"

Post by thomas54 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Karen:
Welcome back. Sorry you fell into your current issues.
I started back in 2008 and really did not either fully understand the program or only put in a minimal effort. Well, I am back to do it full strength this time. I just started session 6. My issue, which I did not realize, is I am a negative thinker. I am working on this big time.

I am sure you have great insight on this program.

karen15

Re: Reviewing the program after "growth spurt"

Post by karen15 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks.

This is how far back I go with this program: I learned about it due to Lucinda's appearance on the Oprah show, which is what prompted me to buy the program. And the program I first bought in the early 90s was all on audiocassettes, and it was called simply "Attacking Anxiety." The word "depression" had not yet been added to the title. Compared to the program people receive today, the program I bought back in the 90s was very simple. Lucinda hadn't even recorded the coaching videos that now accompany the program. Today's version is a "deluxe" version of what I received way back then.

The first time through the program, it felt like utopia. It was exactly what I was looking for. And the staff members of the center went above and beyond the responsibility in aiding me (phone support, etc.) as I progressed through the program. I do feel that I finished the program completely recovered.

About my "growth spurt." It was related to something that I really couldn't control, and so I need to forgive myself: within the space of about five years I lost as many family members. The only way I could cope with this was to keep going forward, and not look back. What I mean is, it became apparent to me about three or four years ago that my agoraphobic ways were returning -- but it took all the strength I had to just keep going forward. I was afraid that if I stopped and looked at the anxiety I would lose all momentum and wouldn't survive the hardships I was enduring.

Going through the program again this time (I'm on session 6 now), I'm experiencing something that I had heard Lucinda refer to before but that I didn't think was true: that looking at our anxiety can actually cause anxiety, at first. I now realize that this is why it took me so many years to work up the courage to review the program. I just would not have been able to bear even a slight increase in anxiety. It took all the strength I had to just survive the last decade with all the losses I endured.

So, in some ways I do feel like a failure. I had recovered completely, and now I've just returned to having difficulty even leaving my room. But I now realize that this wasn't my fault. I lost several family members in a very short amount of time, and it was a dysfunctional family to begin with. Anyone would've had a relapse under the circumstances.

Anyway, thanks for "listening."

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”