Husband seems to not be very supportive

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Stephanie29

Husband seems to not be very supportive

Post by Stephanie29 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I have been married for almost 8 years and my husband and I seem to constantly argue. We have 3 kids together. I do not think that he really supports me in this program. Everytime I feel like I'm moving forward we argue and it then feels like I've taken 10 steps backwards. I have tried to tell him my feelings about this and it just seems like I cannot get through to him. It always seems to turn everything in to my fault. For the past 3 years I have been unable to work due to the extreme of my panic attacks. I have been struggling with the decision of seperation possible divorce, but I am unable to support myself or the kids right now because I don't feel strong enough. And I'm sure that sounds really bad. I do love my husband but physically and mentally cannot take the fighting. I have asked him several times to listen to the support cd and he has not, he says he has no time, but it seems like he has time for his interest or needs. I was always such an independent person and for these past few years I have been so dependent on him and sometimes I think he doesn't want me to get better so that things won't change.

Has anyone else experienced this with their significant other? Could you please give me some insight as to whether maybe I am over reacting.

Gigi123

Re: Husband seems to not be very supportive

Post by Gigi123 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

It's unfortunate that your husband isn't being very supportive of your recovery, that said, one expectation we have to come to grips with, is the fact that not everyone will be supportive or understanding. If you don't suffer from anxiety, it's definitely difficult for someone to understand what we go through. You may need to find other avenues and other support groups, such as this forum or a close friend or other family member.

My mom has never really acknowledged my struggle with anxiety, like yourself, I've asked her several times if she has listened to the cds and she has not. It's unfortunate, as you would think any mother would want to be as supportive as possible and at least understand what it is I'm suffering from but I've realized that's most likely never going to happen and that's ok. My partner is supportive but can have a very difficult time understanding why I think the way I do, so I have found others to discuss my worries with, like my sister who suffers as well.

Have you or your husband considered therapy? It can do such a world of a difference. I would highly recommend it. Hopefully he's open to getting help, especially when children are in the picture.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”