am i going through depression that needs help?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
jdog499

am i going through depression that needs help?

Post by jdog499 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:58 am

I had went through depression before in 2009 after a bad panic attack. It eventually had went away , I thought it was when I finally started working again after 2 years. So I was laid off in December and I thought i'd happen again while I was off but I was surprised it didn't after four months. But in early April I had another bad panic attack(it had been years since I had one) and I ended up going to the ER a few days later and they did ekg tests and chest xrays an blood work an said everything looked normal. I thought i'd be fine hearing that, but after that bad anxiety started. I'd try to go for a walk an i'd bet anxious. Which started making me depressed about it. I started feeling like I did in 09 with the worriedness, needing to be around family an not be alone. I ended up getting a temp job and I thought that'd make me feel better. But I get depressed going there too(its not a good job and I hate being there but I need $). Its been about 5 weeks I've been like this. I started going to the gym, ive lost 20 lbs from not eating so much. Some days I feel like im ok but most the time I get down. Yesterday I told myself I was feeling ok and I would get through work and enjoy the weekend. But the first hour there I get down an I can barely even talk to my own twin brother I work with without having trouble not crying. I had realized that this must be pure depression. But I felt ok the rest the day. Was glad to be off, went to the gym later that day, had a softball game an saw some friends, I felt fine. Got home was tired an fell asleep. But my sleep was off an on and I wake up this morning and I have that worriedness as soon as I get up. I shouldn't be feeling like this . Does this sound like a mild type of depression or more worse? My anxiety is kind of controlled right now an I that's been my problem for years but this depression is taking over that it seems.

Gigi123

Re: am i going through depression that needs help?

Post by Gigi123 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm no dr. but it sounds like you may be suffering from mild depression. Is there anything going on in your life at the moment that may be getting you down? We all go through ups and downs in life, try and embrace the downs and know that life is constantly changing. A really great book I would highly recommend for depression is Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by Dr. Burns. You can find a copy on Amazon for very cheap. Try and focus on the small positives throughout your day, I find this can really help. Do you have an hobbies or things you enjoy doing? Even if I hate going to work, I try and focus on something I can do in the evening that I like. Some sort of little "escape" that I know will make me feel better. Whether its watching a t.v. show or movie I like, or going shopping. I find this helps.

jdog499

Re: am i going through depression that needs help?

Post by jdog499 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 pm

hey thanks for responding. appreciate it. well with this new job an all an losing weight which I've been telling myself i'm going to do for years but never have, an going to the gym an not eating bad like I use to, it kind of feels like im not me anymore, like I have a whole new life an im not the same person. but It needs to be done though because I've been trying to get healthier an feel better about myself for so long an never did it. I use to think i was feeling like this from that anxiety attack i had last month but it seems to be more than just that. im just trying to get help and pointed in the right direction an all doc's seem to want to do is just prescribe pills an i want to have that as a second option if something like talking it out with a professional

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”