Agoraphobia and Fear of Fainting

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Stephanie29

Re: Agoraphobia and Fear of Fainting

Post by Stephanie29 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 am

Hi, I just read your post and I'm sorry I am unable to help with flying, I myself have a huge fear of flying, but I know how you feel about dizziness and fainting. This is week 2 for me and I am struggling a little with it. I have realized in Session 2 that I have had anxiety attacks since I was around 7 years old. As the years have past they started to occur a little more frequently. After my 3rd pregnancy in my late 20's they were full blown and very debilitating. I have trouble leaving my house and if I can avoid going to a store I will. I constantly have a dizziness, spaciness feeling and it scares me. I am so afraid of fainting. When I go to a public place it seems to get worse, even the rapid heartbeat. It was so bad one time in my fav store that I have avoided that store now for almost a year. And that is very depressing. What's also depressing is I use to be a very independent person and now feel like I have to depend on everyone. And not everyone understands or has an open mind about anxiety. On week 1 of the program I finally walked through the grocery store twice including standing at checkout. It truly was amazing in my eyes. Usually I would use a scooter or have my mother push me in a wheel chair. The fear of fainting can truly be crippling. I completely understand how you feel and believe that even though this will take time you and I and many more can over come this.

"I let go of my obsessive thoughts about how the worst may happen"

Thank you for your post, Stephanie

randy c.

Re: Agoraphobia and Fear of Fainting

Post by randy c. » Sat May 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Blondie, I had the same fear, especially when driving and in public as well.I think mine was anticipating the next attack,you know your standing in line or driving or talking to someone when out of the blue the thought creeps in : am I going to get dizzy :do I feel faint or why dont I fell dizzy? and then it starts, at least thats how it was for me. Then you start obsessing about it, you cant think of nothing else. Then you wonder if anyone can tell your freaking out and about to pass out. If your trying to talk with someone you just want to run or leave, whatever it takes. Finally (after starting the program) I had enough. I started throwing up my stop sign and telling myself it was just anxiety it wont hurt me over and over. when i feel it starting i just float with it and it always passes.do anything to distract yourself and break the train of thought. I hope this helps a little, remember its just anxiety! Your not alone in this,theres lots of us. sometimes it helps to look at yourself and laugh,as you go through the program your probably going to... :lol:

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”