Giving Up

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
leann2014

Giving Up

Post by leann2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 pm

I just began session 6. I'm feeling really irritated that I haven't conquered or gotten really good at any of the sessions. I thought I would be doing a lot better but I feel like going through this program has really made me evaluate myself even more. Ha again my high expectations of myself. I'm feeling very frustrated. It's like sometimes I get it and sometimes I let my brain just go bonkers worrying and I get very angry with my loved ones because of fear. I really don't want to quit but I feel like I'm stuck. Going through this program I also feel had brought up so many past anxieties in my life and I feel like I'm reliving those plus trying to fight current ones on top of that. Has anyone felt this way? My brain has been wired so negatively for so many years I'm finding it very very difficult trying to change. Any suggestions or thoughts. :-) Thanks!

S3anne

Re: Giving Up

Post by S3anne » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

My username should have been "icanrelate" because I start almost every reply that way - especially to yours. I felt emotional & frantic last week when my feelings were hurt by both my husband and my sister (the 2 closest people in my life, on 2 different days!). I thought, "I'm half-way through the program! This stuff shouldn't bother me anymore! Where are my skills? They look good on paper, but where are they now when I need them in the moment?" I was over-emotionally-reacting like I've always done - but I was aware enough of myself to STOP. I was not going to let each incident knock me back into depression, but I didn't know what to do instead.... then I finished listening to week 8 cd and she says how it's normal and expected to feel confused and anxious around the middle of the program like you and I are - because we realize that our old, negative habits don't work for us anymore, yet we're not sure what to replace it with yet or how to be the "new" us. All I can offer is that you are not alone with your struggles and to just keep up with the assignments and positive self-talk and that the skills will pop up when you need them, but that the old habits are still there too, so really it comes down to matter of choice... Also, reading Lucinda's book "From Panic to Power" has really helped give me an extra boost through this awkward middle phase. You're doing great. Just push through the lingering negativity and double check the assignments to see if there are any exercises you haven't tried, or are avoiding, and hang in there! Let us know how you are doing & take care!

randy c.

Re: Giving Up

Post by randy c. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 pm

leann2014,dont fight your anxieties.fighting makes it worse.get your mind busy ,exercise,read a good book do anything to occupy yourself.take a deep breath and find comfort in knowing your half way home. :)

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”