This helps my floaty, spacey feelings

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
mercuryme

This helps my floaty, spacey feelings

Post by mercuryme » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 am

I just wanted to share something that I've come across regarding the floaty, spacy, dizzy feelings that a lot of people experience during a panic attack. It seems that many people tense up their jaw and facial muscles during a panic episode, and this can cause pressure on the inner ear, which is responsible for our equilibrium. It's also connected with tinnitus. Also, the muscles surrounding the skull can tense up and constrict blood flow to the head. I know I have a bad problem with this, particularly the jaw tension, as I've had days where my jaw is completely sore from all the tension.

Since I read that, I've been trying to loosen and relax my jaw and face/head muscles when I am start to feel those dizzy, spacey feelings. I let my jaw go completely slack, and then wiggle it back and forth a little to loosen the muscle. Then I make sure my cheeks, forehead, etc., are completely slack. Doing this while continuing the 2/4 breathing seems to help me come back to earth!

Also, if you are really feeling dizzy, you can put your head between your knees to restore blood flow. I tried that only once. It made my head feel heavy at first but then the faintness subsided.

Just wanted to share some things that are helping me cope! Maybe it could help you too. Those spacey feelings are the worst, scariest part of the panic attack for me. I feel like I'm going to float right out of my body and cease to exist. I haven't gotten to the obsessive scary thoughts session yet, obviously. ;D

coachchris

Re: This helps my floaty, spacey feelings

Post by coachchris » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

I have always found scalp, head and neck massage very helpful. I had the dizzy thing too. I think we talked about that....

Great to hear how proactive you are being instead of being ruled by our reactive responses. Practice, practice, practice.

It's all worth it!!

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

I have been having this 2 and I don't really know why??? Its crazy! I hate that feeling. I will try this. Thanks for posting.

bob p

Post by bob p » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 pm

hey mercury me thanks alot for your post. i have had tinnitus for the past 3 years and possibly it can be caused by all my tension. i will try the relaxation you recommended. thanks for looking out for your fellow anxiety brother. haha. thanks and good luck to you. bob

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for this post. I think alot of my tension comes from shoulders and neck.There usually stiff and sore most afternoons.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”