Agorophobia????

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
BlueD

Agorophobia????

Post by BlueD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 pm

panic disorder with agoraphobia... anyone else suffering from this and if so what do you do to help or what meds help you??

hope11

Re: Agorophobia????

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 am

Hey BlueD. Did you read my first post about my symptoms which included panic attacks and agoraphobia. It was rather lengthy but if you can, go back and read it. I really had it bad. To begin with, I wouldn't even leave my bed for about six weeks except to go the restroom. I didn't even want to go into another room in the house or outside, it made me so nervous. I had agoraphobia most of my first year until they put me on Paxil. After trying other meds, that was the one that started letting me at least get out of the house with someone else. I went from not going in a store to doing some Christmas shopping that year as long as someone else was with me. I still am not comfortable going in restaurants unless it is a fast food place but now I can feel ok going in the grocery store and department stores, sometimes by myself while my husband sits in the car. I am starting my third year of this and am still not over it but it is getting better. I understand where you are coming from, believe me. It is no picnic. Keep me posted. I'll keep praying for you and hope things start getting better.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Do you drive at all? I can go places as long as someone is with me... I cant drive without someone with me either. It really sucks bcus I used to be able to jump in the car and do what ever wanted. Thanks for your reply and I will go and read it!!

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey what is the subject of your first post?

hope11

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey again BlueD. Read my posts from February 25th and March 2nd. You're right. We must be related somehow.

hope11

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Sorry, the subject is under Newbie. It was right after I started the program.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 am

Just checking in on you... how are you? I am still pushing forward!!

hope11

Post by hope11 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey BlueD. I haven't been typing much lately due to tendonitis in elbow and shoulder. Went to a doctor yesterday who treats with natural supplements. He wants me to try Progesterone cream and L-theanine. It is over-the-counter. He says that it usually helps people with agoraphobia to get over it and they can sometimes get weaned off the anxiety meds and antidepressants. It has something to do with the GABA in your brain. I think I will wait and ask my doctor who has me on the anxiety meds if that is OK to mix those. This doctor is well-known for helping people when other doctors can't seem to but I am a little scared to take anything with all this other stuff. He thinks a lot of my problem with anxiety stems from a hormonal problem since my Estrogen level is so low and I am on hormones for that. Hope you are doing better. I'll try to let you know how this turns out. Can't stay on here much due to arm. I am going to physical therapy for that and don't want to make it worse. Talk soon.

lesley123

Post by lesley123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm

hi blue, i do suffer from it too along with other things..but what i did before meds was see a threapist cause thats all i had here , n that was when i had to go from dr to dr...but i had faith , determation n i had sopmeone with me until then was my husband and he went to work i could finaly be alone for peroids of time i got upto..and i had to go i had anpointment i had to be there i thought ok i prayed , i thought there people around if i need help, ill be ok ...and purely went on faith n doing ..this is how i did it and i was driving around my town with noone i had neg thoughts but i still went n did it ..but now finding it very hard since this progam with session 2 stared it i think..but i was still advoiding , even now with meds , it helps but im still feeling anixious and fear ! but even though with this im taken step back but im still making sure i get out in car and go around my block its not big , but im still doing ..im ver scared but i do it..yes most o fthe time i need someone or my kids or my doggy for comapny ...im going to keep trying ...also maybe instead of thinking about driving maybe think of going ofr a walk just baby step by step get n feel comfortable with that n then try driving where you walked ...that way your getting out side fresh air, n your still doing ...please try iot n please let me know how you go..even in pm ...hope this helps but keep it up...we are all here for you ..

hope11

Post by hope11 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi blue. Just wanted to let you know that since I started on the natural supplements a week ago (progesterone cream at night which helps me sleep and the L-theanine in the daytime) I have driven to my PT appointments alone and even went to the grocery store yesterday after my appt for a few things and I was totally ok. I don't really feel the best yet as I am weaning off the Remeron that I take at night and have for two years which helped me sleep but I keep on trying. I told my dr about all this when I went last week and he said that was what I needed to do, just keep pushing through that anticipatory wall with exposure therapy and it will get more and more comfortable to do. For some reason, our brains make us believe it is going to be a fearful thing but after you do it, it doesn't seem so bad after all. Of course it has taken me 2 years to get to this point. My husband and I even went into a BBQ restaurant after my dr appt just to prove I could do it. It was in another town and nobody knew me so it was a good time to practice. I was a little anxious but got through it. I try to set a goal to do at least one thing I haven't able to do and work on that until I can. Don't give up although I know there have been plenty of times I have felt like it and sometimes still don't know which way to go. It is starting to finally get better though. Hope you are doing well. God will carry you when you think you can't do it by yourself.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”