Negative people around me

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Hoosiernurse

Negative people around me

Post by Hoosiernurse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I know, from listening to section three in this program, that I have to be the one I can run to in order to bolster myself up. I have to be the one who speaks positively of me, and I need to love and care for myself.

What I wondered is, how do you deal with knowing you are surrounded by so many negative people your family? I realized that the reason I was never like this when I was younger was I didn't listen to the negativity (as often, anyway) and I believed my future was bright. After a few hard knocks, some things that didn't turn out right, and a LOT of listening to negative people around me, I started believing it, too. Our family has a genetic component for anxiety and depression, and I let that side take over.

So, I know I have to deprogram myself...but does anyone have any tips for evading the negativity spewed by spouses, parents, etc.? It does make it harder, you know, when those around you are shooting down the happy in your life.

coachchris

Re: Negative people around me

Post by coachchris » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Hoosier,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. Thank you for your post and reaching out.

You are so right in saying it is hard to continue with positive growth when the people around us are negative. It took me a long time to accept that the closest people to me were not able to support and help me. I realized I had to find encouragement and connect with others who were moving in a positive direction. I started looking for positive people around me, joined a church and started new friendships. This meant more change for me as well as letting go of expectations of others. It was hard work but worth all of the effort.

I also shared with people close to me that I was working very hard at getting out of negative thinking and would appreciate any support and positive thoughts they could give me.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.
We are here to help.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”