My broken leg and anxiety help!

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
soulartista

My broken leg and anxiety help!

Post by soulartista » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 am

Hi,
so i've been working the program for years and have been much better. about 6 months ago i joined roller derby and with the intense amount of exercise i experienced an amazing freedom of feeling so amazing. I had no extra energy to devote to anxiety when I needed it for derby. then it happened. I fell and someone fell on top of me and crack, my tibia and fibula broke.

After surgery and 70,000 dollars in medical bills i'm a month in the healing process and i'm starting to have anxiety. exercise was such an important part of my recovery and it is really stressful not having a exercise program, or a daily routine to do. i can't work right now so not only am i unable to play derby i'm unable to go to work and this makes my routine mostly watching tv, knitting and waiting for my partner to get off of work.

This has been kinda fun for a few weeks but i feel that it is starting to take it's toll on my anxiety and i'm afraid of becoming a bit of a hermit again. i'm afraid to be out because i'm unable to leave because i'm unable to walk or drive. so being able to tell myself i can leave if i want to isn't really an option so much anymore.

my mom wants me to fly and visit her in california but the thought of being in the airport unable to leave is just really scary to me. they will drive me to my gate but just knowing i can't get the hell out of there if i want is more then i want to deal with.

I'm not sure how to re-learn my skills with a new perspective of my broken leg and would love some advice. anyone ever had a physical limitation or illness that affected their recovery? what are some tips or things i can learn from? thank you so much and i really appreciate your response!

Leigh

coachchris

Re: My broken leg and anxiety help!

Post by coachchris » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Leigh,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. Thank you for your post and reaching out. Sorry to hear about the accident. How long until you are able to get up and use cruthes? Are you in or will you be in therapy? It sounds like you have had great success in getting out of the bad habit of lies and managing your life in a healthy way. May I ask what truths you learned when you went through the program the first time? A lot of us, as we go through the program, identify the lies we get stuck in and are able to get our power back because we replace the lies with truth. One truth I hear you saying it that you have a body that can push a lot of adrenalin/energy and you feel good when you can use it up. I have that same story as well. Most of us start out fearing the adrenalin because we don't understand it. The program helps us to connect the dots and make sense of our body symptoms so we can keep our power. Relaxation and breathing is really important. We have the power to think good and feel good.

It sounds like the whatifs are kicking in and you get stuck in a negative scenario that needs challenged. I would try to create the positive whatifs. Put yourself in power and problem solve. Review lessons 2,3, 8 and 9. Many of us go through these growth spurts and we have to remember we cannot go back to where we were. You aren't that same person and you know to much now to go all the way back there. Remember too that this is temporary. Your body is healing everyday. Maybe you can work out your upper body and take baby steps back into getting out.

I look forward to your reply,
We are here to help.
Coach Chris

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”