Psychiatrist

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
BlueD

Psychiatrist

Post by BlueD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Ok well I have been dealing with this anxiety for about 6 months now and I am going to see a psychiatrist... I had a panic attack 6 months ago while driving and ever since I haven't really drove alone. I have been in a state of panic ever since! My question is what will happen on my first visit? I am so nervous about it and I would like to know what to say or how to talk to him?? Any thoughts??

BlueD

Re: Psychiatrist

Post by BlueD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

So no one has been to a Psychiatrist???

hope11

Post by hope11 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:31 pm

BlueD, I feel like I have seen every psychiatrist around since my anxiety started. You wouldn't believe how many people are in those offices when you go, both young and old. By the time I got in to the first one, I was literally so physically sick and freaked out about all that was going on, my husband had to get a wheelchair. I felt like I couldn't even go in on my own two feet. All they will do is ask you questions about how this started, what stress you have going on, questions about your family history, etc. I thought they were going to take me in and let me lie down on a bed like at a regular drs office but not at all. You just go in and sit down, they take out their laptops, and start listening to you and writing things in your records. I was so nervous, I could barely fill out the form at the front office and started panicking while doing that and begged my husband and mother to just get me out of there, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. But after I met the dr and started talking to him, things got better. I was given prescriptions for anxiety and antidepressants and I am extremely fearful of taking meds as I am allergic to so many. But I had no other option, I had to get something to calm me down. But.... if you can help it, don't start on any medicine without knowing all the side effects as there are some. They didn't bother to tell me about those when I was given the prescriptions. They just say, "if you can take this one, we will get you to feeling like your old self again". Well, I still don't feel like myself but a different person trying my best to get better again. I would love to have never started on them at all and thought it would just be short term, but after two years, now they say I am "addicted" to them and will have a hard time weaning back off of them although they have no set time to even start taking me off of them yet. I just try to stay on a very low dose. They try to talk me into taking more but I know the more you take, the more your body wants later. I know they have these meds for a reason and some people just have to take them. They helped but I am still having anxiety almost every day all day long. Some days are better than others but some are the pits. That is why I finally decided to try the program for additional help other than the psychiatrists and therapists. I had a really good week last week but this week it has been an on and off week. Today, I have been anxious all day. I get that inner nervous feeling when I wake up in the mornings and sometimes have it all day. Other days, I am a little calmer. As you get used to your dr, you will feel better about it (but if the first one doesn't seem to make you feel comfortable, go to someone else). You won't hurt their feelings at all. You need to feel good about the one you choose to work with you. I have seen five different ones so far. Most of the time, you will see their nurse and she will refill your medicines, then you will see the dr again once, and then see her a few more times in between. Just be sure you get someone you can rely on to call if you have questions that do not seem to mind you calling. Some act like that is an inconvenience for them. I feel like being on this type of medication, it is their responsibility to help you if you need them between visits. Hope you have a good visit and that it will help. Let me hear from you. Good luck!

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, I am pretty nervous about going and I have not been driving due to panic attacks. I am going to get my husband to drop me off and then I will call him to come and get me when it's over. I just don't know what has happened to me here lately. I had 1 panic attack and ever since then I have been a nervous wreck!! I sure hope he can help me along with this program!!! Thanks again!!!!

hope11

Post by hope11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

I read your post about driving again. Hooray for you! It sounds like you are becoming more confident and you may be able to overcome this sooner than you think! I know you feel proud of yourself and I am proud for you. Also to even be able to let your husband just drop you off at the dr without him going in is great. I still want my husband to go in the waiting room even if he doesn't go in the room with me but I am doing way better than I used to. From the way it sounds, I think you are well on your way to success. Keep on keeping on! Have a blessed day.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks Hope!!! This has been a hard long journey. I have only had this for 6-7 months, I cant imagine having it for my whole life like a lot of ppl on here. I feel like I am getting better everyday considering I was scared to even stay by my self when this first happened. I know I am on my way and I truly think some meds will put me right where I need to be. I am thankful for ppl like you that understand me and try to help me. It sounds like you are getting better 2!!!

Roxygirlgonecrafty(aka:hows)

Post by Roxygirlgonecrafty(aka:hows) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I am so against meds in general.
I spoke to a hollistic health coach and noticed these dark streaks under my eyes.
She told me it was from the anti depressants I used to take.
It makes so much sense.

No meds really helped me.
I saw a psychiatrist and he put me on welbutrin.
I talked to someone who was trying to stop smoking and said they were put on the same drug.
uh... I don't have a smoking problem so why would I be given a drug like that?
I'm so mad because my therapist at the time said a lot of good things about this psychiatrist she referred me to, that
he really looks into the best med for you.
Such bs :(
It did nothing for me.
Just doped me up like xannax did ..sigh

Try changing your diet to wholesome foods, plenty of antioxidants, practicing mind relaxation like meditating.
And exercise daily.
If you practice those 3 things and do the program as well, you will feel back to your happy comfortable, loving life self :)
btw did you see the psychiatrist yet? How did it go?

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 am

No I have not. My appointment is March 13th and I really hope he puts me on meds. Everyone is different and im sorry you had a bad experience with meds. :(
I have been on meds b4 so I know the risks but I need something more. Thanks for your comment!! Hope you have a great weekend!! :)

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”