Am i getting any better?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
foxysmom

Am i getting any better?

Post by foxysmom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 am

I am trying to figure out if I am just fooling myself into thinking i am doing better or if i have actually made progress. My main problem has been driving, and for the last month or so i have been driving almost everyday with someone, but not alone. There was a point where i wouldn't even drive with someone, i have even been able to cross a dreaded bridge with someone in the car. I know i need to start working on driving alone, but the sheer thought of it terrifies me!! Am i actually making any progress?

tina martin

Re: Am i getting any better?

Post by tina martin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 am

Also have endured driving phobias but manage to go on the short trips I must take to go to yoga, the gym, a store.

You have made progress and every little step counts. Maybe you can find an empty parking lot where someone can take you to be with you as you drive. That might be a start. You will be able to recondition your mind. Happy Valentine's Day. Wishing you the very best.

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply tina, i am able to drive with people in the car, just not alone, so maybe a parking lot where they get out of the car would work. I guess it is all about reconditioning the mind. This stuff is no fun and i have dealt with it for too long!! Congrats to you for actually going to gym!! I havent' been in months, i am a member, i just don't go, but i do a lot of working out at home. Luckily i really have everything i need here.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey Foxy, I know you are getting better each day and you have been an inspiration to me and a good friend when I need one!!! I think you are doing goo driving with someone bcus you said you couldn't even do that b4. Keep up the great work and just think b4 you know it we will both be driving around everywhere. :D

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

Yes, you'll both be driving around. It just takes much daily effort to find courage, optimism, hope, to find peace, calm, triumph, however seemingly small or minor.

Some of us have to overcome lifetimes of conditionings. Here there is a program to help. The rewards are there. Three cheers to everyone.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Tina, so how is your program going? What is your story and how have you learned to deal with it??

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 am

Now this is a risky invitation. My story goes back to when I was born decades ago, born into terrible times (WWII). Never wanted to be born or live.

The rest is grasping at anything and everything to survive as best as possible. For years it was traditional Psych (Freud and Company). Then CBT (the program here) came into the picture. Also Sam Obitz with CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), Lucinda Bassett's book, attention to diet, various exercise, daily meditation, journaling, remembering my goals (Focus Cards). Am probably better than ever in my life, but it took decades. Have learned that we feel good when we can delude ourselves that we've made life better for anyone else.

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 am

Wow, interesting story!! I guess the biggest battle is realizing that you are the only one that can fix this. Have you finished the program? I am just starting on session 9 and i think this is where it really get to the main part of the problem. My big thing is mostly anticipatory anxiety, i need to start doing things more spur of the moment i guess. All the what if's and worry, just make everything seem so much harder!! It is nice to see that it is possible to get over this, congrats on your good work!!

hope11

Post by hope11 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 am

Hey Foxy: I feel about the same as you. I seem to be doing better after just two weeks into the program. I seem to be having a little less anxiety in the mornings and am trying to exercise every day. Some days I am still a little edgy but I just concentrate on my breathing techniques and stop those negative thoughts which is a major thing for me. I am not just sitting around worrying about everything like I was. I'm trying to let go of the things I know I can't control and just give it over to God like he has asked us to do. My biggest thing to work on now is the driving. I want to so badly, just to turn loose and go like I used to but I haven't gotten enough courage yet. That is where my anticipatory anxiety kicks in and the "what if's". I am supposed to babysit my little 2 year old grandbaby tonight which I haven't been able to do since she was born two years ago. So I would say that I am making progress but still have a long ways to go. As they say "baby steps" but I know that babies really don't go that slow. But like they do, maybe we will regain our confidence and just take off again soon. Hope you have a good day. Congrats on your progress as well. Keep it up!

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 am

Yes, lots of baby steps!! That is what we have to keep in mind i guess, there is no quick fix to it. My main thing is driving as well, it is such a horrible thing to have, to think you just can't get up and go like you used to. I know i got over it in the past and have hope that it will dicipate again. Good luck with the babysitting, you will be fine!! I love being around my neices and nephews, they make the world seem so simple, and i think about what it was like to be a kid again, no worries and just living in the moment. It will be a good experience for you.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”