Trouble driving and going places alone

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
BlueD

Trouble driving and going places alone

Post by BlueD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:32 am

Well I started the program a while back and I am stuck at lesson 3 and im still having trouble with panic and fear. My heart pounds and I feel so panicky! I am thinking I may need meds 2. At what point in the program do you start seeing results?? :?:

hope11

Re: Trouble driving and going places alone

Post by hope11 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi BlueD. What do you think causes so many of us to have the fear of driving. I guess some have had a panic attack while driving (and looking back now, I think I had some but didn't realize it). I remember driving a few times when a wave of severe dizziness would come over me or I felt like I couldn't breathe or would feel really anxious. All of these episodes happened before my really big meltdown and then I really became afraid of doing everything. I finally got the courage to drive a short distance near my house and then edged out a little further. But it just seems like my brain gets locked up on things that have always been second nature to me. That alone is a scary thing. Not only is driving a dangerous thing when you don't feel well, you realize that you are all alone in the car and that you are responsible for being as safe as you can be. I am doing a little better with that and hopefully with time, it will get better and better. I also have more courageous feelings of what I can do "tomorrow" when I am about to go to sleep and thinking about things I would like to be able to do again. But when "tomorrow" comes, I chicken out or just don't have enough motivation to even try some days.

edmondleeart

Post by edmondleeart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm

blue d, did you stop drinking sugar and caffine? I recently stopped 4 days ago, the attacks have subsided. i drive in traffic to work. i thought to myself if I dont do it, Ill be stuck at home and thats what I dont want. Remember stay positive if an attack is coming, it wont kill you , pull over acknowledge it and repeat positive quotes to yourself.
You can do it. I did, be strong.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Well I am not working and I don't really leave the house much but I know I need to get out and get a job so I don't just sit here all day!!!

edmondleeart

Post by edmondleeart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey Blue D Im sorry your not working. I would try to do daily walks, speak to yourself in a positive way. This may sound strange but when Im feeling it coming on, I speak outloud. I say things like" I know Im about to have a Panick attack thats ok, I can handle it, Im not scared of it." I then do my relaxation breathing. Youll bounce back man, dont give up. Your not alone!

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 am

Thank you!! I am actually trying to get a job.. I want to go back to school but im 2 anxious to go. I hat being in large crowded places! I am thinking of going to the Dr and getting on meds and doing the program 2! I know I will be ok and thanks for your reply!!

Ledard420

Post by Ledard420 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

I often start having panic attacks when I drive out of town. drove 3000 miles for my honeymoon and did it with very little incident . A while back I drove 70 miles by myself and had to pull off the side of the road to calm down. I will sometimes feel fine about going to the store by myself and others I can't do it. I will make myself go sometimes when I'm scared just to prove to myself I can still do it and there is nothing to worry about . Any who I'm ready to win this battle. Its odd when you look back at your life and can see how its really effected you the whole time and how much easier things could have been if knowledge of this material was available in schools

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”