Should I suggest this program to her?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
MirandaLey

Should I suggest this program to her?

Post by MirandaLey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 am

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that since I started this program (I am now on Lesson 11) after being diagnosed with OCD (which led to panic attacks and moderate depression) I have been doing really well. I don't have panic attacks anymore, my depression has gone away (except during the week before my period, I still can get sad and stressed then but I deal with it in a healthy way) and I am working on my avoidances. This program has made all the difference to me. This past June I was in a really dark place, I was not suicidal but I was depressed from my OCD and anxiety to the point that every day was painful. But I still went through the motions because I have a baby to take care of but I didn't enjoy life any more and was living basically in fear of my symptoms getting worse and that horrible hopeless feeling that the depression brings. The good news is now I am feeling back to normal, even better than I was before I had these problems, because I have more self-confidence and I feel just so much stronger.

There are a lot of people in my life that I know could benefit from the program, and I talk it up all the time! My Mom is doing the program and is on Lesson 4. She doesn't have panic attacks or anything but she has very low self-esteem and is a worrier. The program is really helping her!

My father-in-law, my husband's step-father, is an alcoholic. He has been this way for probably 20 or 30 years. It led to the breakdown of his first marriage and his current marriage to my husband's mother is not going well. I can say with almost absolute certainty that the reason he drinks is anxiety and depresion. He is on anti-depressants but still continues to drink! It's really hard because a couple of years ago he was in a car accident (he was at fault -- he wasn't wearing his seat belt on the highway) and now has limited mobility -- he can walk with a walker but it's hard and he usually just stays in his wheelchair. Well, he is still drinking, and his sons (not my husband) actually go to the beer store and bring him back a 24 of beer! I can't wrap my mind around this, but then again they aren't very healthy either, they drink and do a lot of drugs. (Side note: I sure am thankful my husband, baby girl and I live an 8 hour drive away!) Ive had discussions with my father-in-law about the program and how much it's helped me, and I've shown it to my mother-in-law (who is also on an anti-depressant because of all the stress with her husband) but they don't seem at all interested -- even though they've seen the changes it's made for me. I've been very honest about how hard my life was before I found this program but it's like they don't believe my condition was all that serious. So that's very frustrating to me because I know this can help him but they won't even try it! I've even offered to lend them my CDs (as I have the whole program on my iPhone) and order a blank workbook but they are simply not interested.

Well this morning as I was getting my daughter and I ready for the day, my sister-in-law sent me a Facebook message saying that my mother-in-law's cousin is in intensive care because she tried to kill herself last night. This lady has had a history of drug and alcohol abuse and is on anti-depressants, as far as I know, but she still drinks. I tried to get in touch with my mother-in-law to comfort her but I can't get a hold of her. I think this is a big step for me because one of my biggest obsessions/fears was that I might kill myself... to the point that I was scared and worried that I actually was suicidal (I wasn't -- it was just my obsession at the time). I'm proud that I've gained enough skills, strength and understanding to be able to talk about this and offer comfort to someone. But what I'm wondering is, should I reccomend this program to my mother-in-law's cousin? I realize her depression must be very severe if she tried to kill herself, and I know this program is for anxiety and mild to moderate depression, but I think it might help her! But I don't know if anyone will even listen to me! For example, my husband's sister, who is 16, has been self-harming since she was about 14. She will stop and then start up again. My mother-in-law took her to a psychiatrist who diagnosed her with ADD, but did nothing to help her. She's too young for medication and they didn't even suggest therapy or cognitive therapy.

I am so frustrated because there is so much pain and bad mental health in my husband's family, and yet if they just tried this program I think it would really help them. What should I do?

tina martin

Re: Should I suggest this program to her?

Post by tina martin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 am

The program must be met half way, but there really is no way to predict how someone will react until they try.

There have been plenty testimonials here, none as beautiful as yours. You have the opportunity to get others involved but be prepared that not everyone can benefit as well. So don't be disappointed. Trying is everything. Don't get discouraged, keep us posted. You are a shining star in your family. Baby is lucky to have you and your dear husband.

MirandaLey

Re: Should I suggest this program to her?

Post by MirandaLey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 pm

tina martin wrote:The program must be met half way, but there really is no way to predict how someone will react until they try.

There have been plenty testimonials here, none as beautiful as yours. You have the opportunity to get others involved but be prepared that not everyone can benefit as well. So don't be disappointed. Trying is everything. Don't get discouraged, keep us posted. You are a shining star in your family. Baby is lucky to have you and your dear husband.
Wow Tina, thank you so much! Your words mean so much you have no idea. It's been a really stressful day. I did eventually get ahold of my mother in law and she's very upset. I've been praying all day and worried about my husband's cousin. Once she's out of the hospital I will suggest the program. That's all I can do.

Again thanks for your kind words, you are a compassionate and wonderful person!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”