Any passed this on to our kids?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
pearpickinporky

Any passed this on to our kids?

Post by pearpickinporky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:55 pm

They say anxiety is a learned behavior, that we're not born anxious, I've suffered anxiety issue pretty much all my life and have noticed the same happening with my kids.

My daughter who is 5 complains each and every morning before going to school of having a sore stomach, when at school she doesn't talk to the other kids, plays by herself etc, myself having been through anxiety I can relate totally to what she's going through as I suffer the same, I get cramps before having to go to work each morning, I don't socialize with other because of social anxiety and keep myself to myself, she is basically a carbon copy of me. We dropped her of to a birthday party today, same thing, complained in the car about a sore stomach, once we got to the party she wouldn't stay and we had to head home again, I'm also the same when having to go somewhere outside my comfort zone.

My son 9 also has traits of anxiety, he's a big worrier and catastrophizer although not to the extremes of my daughter.

Has anyone else noticed anxiety traits in their kids?

coachchris

Re: Any passed this on to our kids?

Post by coachchris » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Pear,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. This is a great question. I hear it a lot in my coaching and also have personal experience with it. All three of my children have displayed some traits toward anxiety. Thankfully, I recognized them early and have been able to help each one of them grow into healthy young adults. Our youngest is turning 18 in March. It has been very empowering for me to be able to teach them how important it is to manage their body, train their mind and grow their spiritual life. This has been the key for us.

There is also a great workbook we recommend here at Stress for children the ages 5-12. Here is the link. I have used it several times coaching kids and they have done very well with it. http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-Wor ... 1591473144

It is important to under-react and continue to be very positive and calm with them. As your relationship to the adrenalin changes and you are in control of it and understand it then you can teach this to your kids. Remember too that their story is not your story. Do not predict their future in a negative way. They may have some similarities to you but be careful not to assume that they are feeling just what you are feeling or will take the same path you took.

We are here to help you. If you would like to setup a free coaching call just private message me. I would love to talk.

Coach Chris StressCenter.com

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”