Still can't drive

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
BlueD

Re: Still can't drive

Post by BlueD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm

This is so helpful to hear that im not alone in this because I was starting to feel stupid! I know we can all over come this! Zoloft did the same thing to me but I took it for 21 days and lost 15 lbs! I needed to lose as well but not like that! I felt so weak and just tired the whole time I was on it. I would like to try something but im scared of the side effects! I wish we didn't have to try 1000 different meds to find the right one.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

I drove to the post office and the store a few days ago and I felt anxious but I made it and then yesterday wasn't a good day... I felt anxious and panicky most of the day!! :(
I would like some advise on how to start out? Should I just drive around the block and my neighborhood and just go a little further each day?
I am fine about 3 to 4 miles around my house but anything past that I start getting dizzy and heart starts pounding! Any advice would be appreciated!!

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat there.....I need to start practicing on my own. I haven't yet, only with people, but i think thats the best way to do it, baby steps, a little further each day.

hope11

Post by hope11 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Just got my kit in the mail on Saturday and couldn't put it down. This has been something I have looked for for the past two years since my severe anxiety started. I have been to doctors, therapists, etc. but couldn't find anyone to really talk to me about their "same problems" that I am going through. You don't usually go to doctors or therapists who have actually experienced this themselves, they only learned it from going to classes. Even though this is done through CD's, DVD's, and online support groups, I already am excited to find something that I think might be of benefit to me. I first got agoraphobia (didn't even want to get out of my bed for six weeks just to walk to another room in the house much less go outside). I became physically sick and instantly lost 26 pounds. I have always had a fear of going to doctors even though that was my career (working for doctors for about 30 years before this happened) but I became completely paralyzed by the fact I had to go to the doctor. I was so afraid this was something really bad wrong with me. I was in such a state at that time that they had to put me on anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants just to make me eat and sleep which I am still having to take. I also have a great fear of taking medications. I was staying awake all of the time day and night. I still will not go to sleep at night without my lamp on, will not lay down to take a nap during the day (even when I am extremely exhausted), and still have a fear of driving alone. I can drive some with someone else with me but am not really comfortable being by myself although I do try to once in a while. I haven't driven to a store alone and actually gotten out and went in except one time in two years. It is so hard to make others understand the feeling of fear that overcomes you of an activity that you have done most of your life. I am much more afraid to drive now than when I first learned to drive almost 40 years ago. But after reading these posts, I know I am not alone and after hearing Lucinda's tapes, I feel she is exactly what I need to help me regain my courage again as well as others like you. We are all going through a tough journey but apparently God has a reason for this that He will use to our good in the long run. If all of these people were helped by this program, I feel we can be too. I also am having a hard time even associating with my own family and had to miss my first grandchild's 1st birthday party last year and trying to get the courage to go this week to her 2nd one. This has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through (and I have been through some tough times) but I have hope more now than I have had and pray that things will continue to improve so I can soon look back on this and say I came out a stronger person. Praying for all of you as well. Hang in there!

hope11

Post by hope11 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm

By the way, it helps to chew gum, take along some water to drink, turn on the radio, and have your cell phone right by you. Tell someone the route you are taking just in case. Be sure you stay focused on your driving, not what is new along the side of the road along the way. (I looked up and realized I was almost on the back of another vehicle a time or two). Drive a little bit one time, then a little further if you are comfortable the next. Then praise yourself for your accomplishment. Be excited that you tried and give yourself a pat on the back. I did that a few times but then became afraid again and haven't done it now in a few weeks. Nothing happened while I was driving but I have just become fearful of it again. We may have setbacks but I am just going to try to self talk my way to get the courage to keep on trying. We can't give up.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Hope,
I know how you feel. I had a panic attack several months ago while driving and I still cant drive alone and I get nervous in stores and feel dizzy and out of body feeling. Most ppl don't understand but I know ppl on here do.
So have you started your program yet? It is hard to sick to everything and do all the homework.
Are you on any meds or natural herbs or anything?? Keep in touch and let me know how your program is going!! :) :) We are all friends here and if you need to vent or anything just feel free!!
:)

hope11

Post by hope11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am

Good morning BlueD. I am taking Paxil and Klonopin as well as Mirtazapine to help me sleep. I absolutely do not like taking medications but didn't have much of a choice when this all started. The doctor prescribed these things but didn't really go over the side effects or possibility of addiction and I was not in a clear state of mind enough to do anything else so they put me on them two years ago. I just need help fast to calm me down. Sometimes it just feels like my brain is burning inside and that something is rushing through my bloodstream. I have also been found to have an extremely low estrogen level which can also cause these symptoms but through a lot of trials of HRT, I can't get my level to come up to normal. I had a total hysterectomy almost 12 years ago and stayed on Premarin for 11 years and all of a sudden, it was not working anymore and all of this started so who knows? The doctors sure don't seem to. Everything is just trial and error and take this or that and come back in 2 or 3 months. I get so tired of hearing that. I am hoping this program is going to help me cope with my anxiety to the point that I can hopefully get back off of them again. Do you wake up with the morning anxiety jitters? I do and they were awful up until lately and seem to be getting a little better. I just started the program so I am going to start session 3 today. I wish I could have at least one whole day of peace but this is an ongoing thing for me. I know that with God's mercy and grace, I will get through it someday. I am a little down today but it will get better. Hope you and everybody else will have a good day.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey there, yes I do have the morning jitters, all day and night jitters but I know I am better than I was yesterday... It really is hard to deal with. I will send you a private msg..

katie12

Post by katie12 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Seen your post and thought I'd respond.. I too have trouble with driving. :/ it makes me feel like a helpless kid.. Although I when I was about 16/17 had no trouble with it, although I've always been terrible with directions, and always somewhat had the fear of getting lost if I was by myself. When I was 18, I had my first anxiety attack, although it didn't really have to do with driving.. It soon took over my driving. I wouldn't be able to drive without being extremely anxious and it scared me to death that I might lose control while driving. I took a different job when I was almost 20 and it was so close to my house that I drove myself! It felt amazing and all of my anxiety kind of tapered off (I think just feeling in control made it kind of dissipate)then, I started getting anxious about going to work because it was really hard to pull out on the main road (very busy) and I had to wait for a long time, also I'd see people I knew however much and didn't like that.. One day I got in an accident on my way to work (I honestly think just because I had myself worked up so much before even getting in the car) and I thought I could pull out quickly and misjudged the distance of a car and got hit! I really haven't driven much since then.. It scares me, to think that I let something like that happen, that it could so easily happen again...and I might not be so lucky as to walk away unharmed next time, or even worse, what if someone with me got hurt. This is the biggest challenge in my life I feel, the not driving. I feel like if I could just do this I'd feel so much better about myself... I'd feel like I was in control of my life. I hate having to get rides everywhere, I feel like a helpless baby? And I worry what others think...

katie12

Post by katie12 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Also, while I'm on here, I wanted to say that since the accident and not driving I have felt more anxious, and many more things bother me.. I read on here someone's fear of being sucked into the sky or something and I kind of inherited that fear? But only at certain places? I have a lot I need to work on.. Any advice/ support would be amazing.. thanks

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”