Still can't drive

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
foxysmom

Still can't drive

Post by foxysmom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

I have had panic attacks now for about 5 years, off and on. Medication worked the first time around, and just recently they came back pretty constant, i had weened off all meds for about 4 or 5 months. Right around thanksgiving this year is when it all came back, my main issue has always been driving, but this go around, I have had agoraphobic tendancies. It got so bad even when with someone in a place like a mall, busy resturaunt, walmart, i would get worked up. My husband got me the program as part of my christmas this year. I am on session 4 now, doing the workbook, listening to each session 2 to 3 times. I am also back on 20mg of fluoxetine for about a month now. It has gotten better, as far going places with people, I have been to walmart and been ok, and out shopping with my sister, I must say I think the program is helping with the self talk in public places, not turning it into that vicious cycle. The main problem is that I haven't driven in over a month now, i have driven with my mom and my husband, main problem is driving alone, or being alone really. I have a cleaning business, and most of my houses are about 30 min from where i live, i stayed with my parents for a couple weeks, and had them drive me around, leave me at one house, come pick me up, which is quite a pain I am sure. Ofcourse at this point my mom refuses to drive me anymore. Should I just suck it up and do it? I am just terrified that I will get halfway between where I am going and home and get stuck.

putty224

Re: Still can't drive

Post by putty224 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm

I too have been having a hard time driving especially on the highway. I have avoided the highway for a year or so pretty much! I went through a few sessions of this program about 7 years ago when I had my first anxiety attack. I must tell you it truely changed my life. I finished my degree in physical therapy 4 years ago and worked anxiety free seriously up until a year ago. I was at work and had a panic attack and I guess I forgot how scary they were to me years ago and my cycle started over again! I for some reason just was not grasping the program this second time around and would do a few sessions and quit because I felt better, then a few weeks later try and skip around again in the program. I finally just got fed up with living this way and have been putting all my effort into the material and I must say it is helping! Driving fear comes from anticipatory anxiety that's all and what if thinking. Once you get out and face your fear over and over it gets easier. Just yesterday I decided to work on the highway alone. I felt extremly anxious on my way back into town, but told myself it is necessary to feel the feelings in order to get over the fear. I told myself if I get too nervous I will pull over and calm down then get back at it. I had an attak, but turned around and drove again! Am I completely cured? No, but not quite as frightened. I think you also need to listen to music you really enjoy that helps. I usually listen and sing along or listen to soothing instrumental music. One last bit of advice, try starting out slowly and drive a little further each time. Best of luck and don't beat yourself up if you don't make it as far as you would like to don't pressure yourself and give yourself praise no matter how far you make it atleast you tried :D

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!!! It is always nice to hear someone has been in the same boat. Even though i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. People always ask, why is it driving? Did you have an accident or something? No!! I don't know why, I do know that the first really bad one i had was while i was driving, so maybe i just associate it with that. Its such a strange thing, i was just telling my mom today, i feel like i am 15 all over again, learning to drive. But when i was 15, there was no fear, i couldn't wait to get out on my own!! I don't know what happened, but it did, I am gonna work on it some over the weekend, the thing i think people around me don't understand is that it isn't just gonna happen overnight.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 pm

I just got my attacking anxiety cd's in the mail today and listened to the first cd. I have the very same problem, driving alone! I had a panic attack while driving about 2 months ago. I was alone and it was dark and it scared me so bad that I just cant drive alone anymore. I have tried to drive places alone and I get so dizzy and start freaking out! Even if I go anywhere like the grocery store or anywhere alone I freak out. I make my husband take me every where now, It really is hard! I really hope we can get over! God bless!!!

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

BlueD, have you tried any medications? I really am not for it, but sometimes it is necessary. I feel like I am in your same boat, it makes it really hard to do anything when you can't drive!! Good luck with the program, I do feel like it is helping, along with some medication also. Just a precaution, i tried zoloft, i did not have a good experience with it, everyone is different though.

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm

I have tried several meds... I have tired Zoloft 2 and it made me very sick. I am not on any meds now because they didn't really help me. I have even tried nerve pills! I just don't know what happened to me because i have always loved going places and driving. I have always been THE driver in the family. I just don't understand what happened. I sure hope this helps because i just want my life back!

BlueD

Post by BlueD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Also i have this ball in the pit of my stomach that is constantly there. Even when im at home, I went to the dr and had ALL kinds of test ran but he says its anxiety! Part of me wanted to get a 2nd opinion but after reading some things on here i know it is anxiety! :?:

putty224

Post by putty224 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 pm

You are right it does not happen overnight! Don't let other's get you down! It will happen because I know we anxiety/depression suffers are some of the strongest people:) I too had my first panic attack driving and it scared me to death! That is why I have avoided driving, but I know I will get over it as I have before and so will you:) Power of positive thinking! Keep me posted on how you are doing good and bad I too will keep you updated as it helps to talk to someone going through the same issues! I plan on practicing tommorow I'll let you know how it goes:)

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes, do keep me updated!!! I know i have done it in the past, but not after this long, its been over a month since i have driven alone, but hopefully over the weekend I can practice some. Good luck with yours, and yes, support is good!! Talk with you soon!!

foxysmom

Post by foxysmom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Blued, the zoloft i took for a week, 7 days exactly, and i lost 7 pounds, couldn't eat, just really wanted to sleep and definately couldn't function. Not complaining about the weight loss as i was trying anyway, but if i can't function on it then thats not gonna work. I took prozac before with good results so i am trying it again, also xanax as needed.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”