The "Acceptance Paradox"

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
meluv3

The "Acceptance Paradox"

Post by meluv3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm

I was reading in the Feeling Good Handbook today and was reminded of this great truth:

"If you try too hard to fight a problem within yourself or someone else, the very act of fighting will often create resistance. Sometimes when you accept the problem and stop trying so hard, things will suddenly begin to change."

Acceptance and patience are so hard, but so important in recovery from anxiety and depression!

coachchris

Re: The "Acceptance Paradox"

Post by coachchris » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Great truth. Thanks for sharing!

DolphinG

Post by DolphinG » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Meluve
that post hit the nail ,Ive noticed that i get anxiouse even at times while working the program .
I honestly think since I"m trying so hard I get in a sort of a anxiouse mood,so you are absolutly correct, take a break .
For sure what works for me is keeping myself buysy as much as i can and then in the late afternoon i relax do some reading ,work the steps and everything else .
One thing for sure that gets me realy anxiouse is researching my condition in the internet, and ways to fight it besides the program.
For example natural herbs etc etc.
I told myself that i will never go back in the internet for that reason.
God Bless Dolphin G

meluv3

Post by meluv3 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:46 pm

That is a hang up for me too ... trying too hard to recover and not just accepting where I'm at and working calmly towards recovery! I am anxious about being anxious! ha! Sounds like you have a good plan for your days ... I am finding I thrive on having a plan and trying to stick to my plan no matter how I "feel". What kind of things do you do to "keep busy"? Oh, and researching is a big no, no for me too!! Every time I research I can feel the adrenaline affects almost immediately! I have a few "safe" sites that I refer to, but try to stay away from searching too much.

Something I've been meditating on lately:

Isaiah 40:31 "but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

I can't rush progress, I need to continue working towards my goal and WAIT for the Lord and be patient! It takes time to recover, but recovery can happen!!! =)

angie611

Post by angie611 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I am going to write this down and read it daily. I love it. :D

TL7

Post by TL7 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

I needed to hear this today. Thank you :D

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”