Intense Anxiety before Menstruation

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
bthnown

Intense Anxiety before Menstruation

Post by bthnown » Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 am

Just wondering if any women suffer extreme anxiety right before they menstruate? I can usually keep myself calm, but it seems the few days before my period are out of control. I wake up in the mornings with dry heaves and extreme shakiness. I know hormones play a large role in this.
What kinds of things help you through those few rough days? I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with these symptoms, because now I am fearing my next period and will be getting them for quite some time yet. I don't want to be afraid.

Any input would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,
Beth

ninadancer

Re: Intense Anxiety before Menstruation

Post by ninadancer » Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi Beth...I have been getting those symptoms too - they started to get bad about 2 years ago and are really off the charts now. I get panic attacks, jittery, general anxiety etc....How old are you? I am wondering if they are possibly due to peri-menopause if you are between the age of 35-55...It seems like these are common symptoms as we women get older - which doesnt make things any better. Nina

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Sat May 26, 2012 11:50 am

Thankfully I am long past that time and don't miss it one bit. But I remember some of what you describe. Hormones can indeed play havoc with us.

What helps me now might have helped me then: exercise and meditation. Just thought I'd share. Wishing you the best.

sara78

Post by sara78 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm

It might help to remind yourself that it's just hormones. Maybe see your Dr. about it? Maybe there's a hormonal imbalance that's making your PMS symptoms worse?

ethan1104

Post by ethan1104 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:19 pm

I get that way too very moody anxious then when i start ive been getting reall y depressed any one else feel this way

erica06418

Post by erica06418 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 am

I am 30 years old and have recently noticed that I am more anxious two weeks before my cycle and I tend to be more obsessive and very emotional. I took out the tapes and I am working from the beginning again. I will also discuss this with my OBGYN as well.

scaredxtoxdeath

Post by scaredxtoxdeath » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I am the same way. About 3 days before my period begins, throughout my period, and a few days after I am extremely anxious. More then normal. I typically try to not plan anything or go any places around that time and just try to remain calm. I have had a lot of trouble with it in the past year. I get extremely emotional and depressed, and just cry for hours for no reason. This causes a lot of trouble with my fiance and I because we get in a lot of fights because I am so upset, getting panic attacks, depressed, and disoriented. Great being a girl, huh?!

bthnown

Post by bthnown » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Unfortunately, my anxiety has not stopped. It is going on two weeks of constant worry and debilitating anxiety. I feel like I am stuck and won't find a way out. I'm trying really hard to hang onto some sort of hope. I tell myself that things will get better but they aren't. Don't know what to do.

ellenfisher

Post by ellenfisher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Beth!

I suffered with what was diagnosed as PMDD-severe type of PMS. You can google it as PMDD on the MayoClinic website to see if it fits or not. I've read in many places that cognitive therapy helps as much as meds., which is how I ended up here. The program is helping me tremendously and the coaching sessions and peer support by phone I paid for are worth there weight in gold. I was not sure if I should spend the money, but I am so glad I did. Hope you began to find relief, female stuff can be THE WORST to say the least.

Best Wishes, Ellen

mercuryme

Post by mercuryme » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 am

I have been having the same problem lately. I'm 35 and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I think the BC pills they put me on to treat it are wreaking havoc. It's like my body can't tolerate any type of meds anymore. I haven't been in the ER for a panic attack since I was 20, but lately I've been in twice in the past two months. Both times were right before my period. The attacks are starting with heart palpitations and then I get a huge hot/cold rush that comes in waves over and over. Then I start to feel faint, and my legs start shaking really bad.

The last one I had went on from about 10pm to 4am. I have never had attacks like these in my life. I keep calling in sick to work because I'm basically non-functional for days afterwards. They wipe me out totally. I'm dizzy, no appetite, completely fatigued and constantly on the verge of another attack. It's total hell. Docs want to put me back on antidepressants but I've been down that road to nowhere before. I won't be re-addicting myself to harmful drugs that cost thousands of dollars a year again unless they put me in a straight jacket.

I will tell you what has helped me, even though not by much so far. High doses of good quality fish oil, every day. I like Nordic Naturals Omega plus D3, six capsules a day. That helps with the mood swings. Passionflower, two every four hours, helps on really bad anxiety days. I've taken three capsules at once when I was having a bad attack and couldn't get to sleep on a work night. Neither of those supplements will cause bad side effects or cause you to become addicted.

I don't know what's brought on these new attacks lately but I hope to god they stop because I'm barely hanging on. I'm one week into the program and the breathing exercises are really helping, but it's a constant battle and I'm so tired.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”