Intense Anxiety before Menstruation

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
kcsmartin

Re: Intense Anxiety before Menstruation

Post by kcsmartin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I have noticed an increase in symptoms around my period as well. I was on BC and Paroxetine (Paxil) for YEARS, but would like to try and have a baby so I stopped both a few months ago. That's when I got the program because I became very anxious and depressed, but did not want to go back on medicine. I decided to give it a try, as I remember my mother going through the program years ago. I am happy to say that I am on Week 7 and beginning to see more "good" days than bad days. I need to be extra careful about my negative thinking and what I am eating around the time of my period. I have also recently been getting a lot of acne. It's terrible, I feel like I'm back in High School. I didn't even have this bad of acne in High School! Either way, I am working through my symptoms day by day.

mercuryme

Post by mercuryme » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm getting bad acne too!! I think it's a symptom of the PCOS hormonal imbalance because I started basically growing man hair whiskers on my chin too, and I put on about 10 lbs around my waistline that won't come off no matter what I do. But, I know that stress can wreak havoc on your skin too and mess up your hormones and blood sugar. My skin is worse than it ever was in high school. And after I got put on Effexor I developed a rash of little red bumps. It started on my arms and has spread to my thighs, back, rear end, pretty much everywhere. Now that I'm off the Effexor, I lost about 30 lbs but the skin is still the same.

Then, of course being the control freak that I am, I started compulsively picking at it thinking somehow I could get rid of it by tearing my skin off. Now I'm covered with bumps, acne, and scars. Very attractive! I'll spend a whole hour in the bathroom just picking at it. I know it's gross but I think it's some kind of skin picking disorder and is some more mild form of self-harm. Doc said I'm probably getting some kind of dopamine rush from it because I don't even feel the pain until afterwards. I kind of go "somewhere else" mentally. And then afterwards I get depressed because I feel like I look hideous, everyone can see that I'm crazy and picking at my skin just by looking at my arms and face, and I'll never be able to stop. It's almost like smoking...I quit every day.

Does anyone else get super horrendous bad cramps too? Like so severe you have to take high doses of ibuprofen? I have to take up to five sometimes, which my doc doesn't like, but the pain is unbearable.

ellenfisher

Post by ellenfisher » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Mercuryme,

I was going through the same kinds of things. I'm 2-3 months into the program and I use the coaching, which has been a God send, and I feel so much better. I just really wanted to die before with the PMDD(severe PMS) and the program is working-- and working even better with the coaching. There are many ideas on MayoClinic and other websites that give ideas for alternative meds. and vitamins for severe PMS and PMDD and other menstrual related issues, I haven't tried them, but I did read that cognitive therapy is supposed to work as well as meds. and this program is cognitive-behavioral therapy and with the help of my coach and the peer support hot line it's working and I thank God!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there! Best wishes as you work the program!

Ellen

mercuryme

Post by mercuryme » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks, Ellen. I am having my first coaching session tomorrow. I've been feeling better the past couple of days and more hopeful. Especially since session two is helping me learn the "pre-panic attack" symptoms and how important it is not to let it escalate. I guess what I need to do right now is focus on healing my mind first and practicing simple self care, then the rest of it will come with time.

ellenfisher

Post by ellenfisher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Mercuryme,

So good to here you are more hopeful and already having slow steady steps of success!!! My coach keeps reminding me it's the slow steady steps that get us where we want to go and we can be proud of them! I know you will benefit from the coaching, too.

Just wanted to applaud you for your courage and effort!

Take care and Best wishes,

Ellen

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:50 pm

I have all kinds of problems with pms. There is a great product I found that helps will all kinds of symptoms of pms. It's all natural which I like. It's called female balance you can find it at http://www.femalebalance.com

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”