Talk myself into anxiousness

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
jsmile1372

Talk myself into anxiousness

Post by jsmile1372 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi! I am currently on session 3. I have def slacked off a lot this past week due to the holiday and family coming home from out of state. I definitely noticed a decent amount of change in myself since starting this. Although today I was at work and was fine all day. Then I decided I wanted to order Chinese to take home for dinner. And the second after I hung up I created all kinda of scenerios. I mean as dumb as this sounds it's almost like I felt trapped knowing I HAD to go pick up food. I felt impending doom. :( its so embarrassing to even type that. But I thought myself right into it. Like I noticed my thoughts taking over and creating this panic inside. But I couldn't shut it off or distract it in the least. Has anyone else had such troubles? Or do you think it's just bc I have been slacking and haven't given my full attention to the program lately? This is so frusterating. But on my drive home aside from some panic and wanting to just get home, I gave myself a little positive self talk such as hey I did it! I didn't want to but I did and I've come this far. But it's still so depressing when you can't do normal things. :(

Gigi123

Re: Talk myself into anxiousness

Post by Gigi123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 am

We just think too much,hehe I know exactly what you're talking about. When you start having "thoughts," try and distract yourself so you don't go there. I know you said you "HAD to pick up the Chinese food." Try and think more positively, you could cancel the order if you wanted to or you could think "woo hoo, I'm having chinese for dinner, I can't wait to go pick it up and have a nice meal." But it sounds like you are speaking positive to yourself, you just need to learn to use those thoughts before the situation is resolved.

jsmile1372

Post by jsmile1372 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the response! :D

And I know sometimes it is so hard to distract the thoughts. I was doing fairly well for a while after starting the program. I also think it could be bc it is before that time of the month and it always gets worse around then. But I was down for a while about it. But now I am trying to move forward and to start up again full force on the program bc I am disappointed in how much I have slacked lately.

Once again thanks for responding! Any response helps! :D :D

dhoyt84

Post by dhoyt84 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I have gone through the same thing. Someone else on here wrote about doing self checks. I think we all do that. We are so use to feeling anxious and panic that when we have a "normal" day its easy to think about it again and then create anxiousness. But you did the right thing by talking to yourself positively. I get depressed sometimes too because of it, but I don't stay there. I make jokes like "oh I'm just having a stinkin thinkin moment." We are living normally its just our minds drift back to that "scary" place from time to time. Keep doing the program. Wish you the best!!!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 pm

jsmile1372 wrote:Hi! I am currently on session 3. I have def slacked off a lot this past week due to the holiday and family coming home from out of state. I definitely noticed a decent amount of change in myself since starting this. Although today I was at work and was fine all day. Then I decided I wanted to order Chinese to take home for dinner. And the second after I hung up I created all kinda of scenerios. I mean as dumb as this sounds it's almost like I felt trapped knowing I HAD to go pick up food. I felt impending doom. :( its so embarrassing to even type that. But I thought myself right into it. Like I noticed my thoughts taking over and creating this panic inside. But I couldn't shut it off or distract it in the least. Has anyone else had such troubles? Or do you think it's just bc I have been slacking and haven't given my full attention to the program lately? This is so frusterating. But on my drive home aside from some panic and wanting to just get home, I gave myself a little positive self talk such as hey I did it! I didn't want to but I did and I've come this far. But it's still so depressing when you can't do normal things. :(
Don't be embarrassed by experiencing these feelings, we ALL have them in one form or another.
I am an agoraphobic and I have problems leaving my apartment and living in the precious, present moment.
Even when I am SOMEWHERE, I am so detached that I am not really THERE at all.
We over-think, over-react and over-analyze everything and this makes us anxious and panicky.

THIS IS FROM SESSION TEN:

I like myself. I am working to improve myself, to be stronger. I like myself for who I am today.
I will feel even stronger tomorrow and even stronger in six months to year.

Lynda

hopeful12

Post by hopeful12 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am

This is so normal. Sometimes we push ourselves to do something and then all of the sudden we are thinking out of fear -- oh no, what have I done? I can't possibly go through with this? What if I panic while driving, etc. Just tell yourself it is a normal response and you are going to do it anyway -- you will be fine. I also find myself checking myself especially when I notice that I have not been anxious for a while. Then I make myself anxious by checking -- how am I feeling, what if I start feeling panicky, o.k. now I am feeling panicky. So now, I try to just tell myself -- Oh, there I go again with that habit of checking myself. I don't need to do that anymore. It helps.

You were wondering if your symptoms were because you were taking a break from the program. Sometimes when we are feeling better, we kind of let the program go. That's o.k. but sometimes the return of our symptoms are what compels us to keep working at it. So in a way, it keeps us on track. However, we should be gentle with ourselves. There is no perfect way to do the program. We don't have to do it perfectly, just keep at it. Sometimes our magical thinking comes in and we get kind of superstitious -- or at least I did at first. I would tell myself that I had to do everything perfectly -- relax tape 3 times a day, workbook, etc. Any of the things we do, helps us and we should be serious about feeling better -- but being regimented about doing the program is just our already type A, anxious way of doing something that got us into trouble in the first place. If you beat yourself up about not doing the program perfectly, that really is not helping is it? Took me a while to figure that out. God Bless and be gentle with yourself!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 am

dear hopefull:

Showing ourselves some compassion is surely one of the greatest steps toward recovery :D .

FROM SESSION TEN......

There are a lot of good things about me. I am talented. I am loving. I am confindent.

Lynda

jsmile1372

Post by jsmile1372 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 am

I know it's so hard to give yourself positive feedback when you feel these types of ways bc you feel like a failure at the time and it's difficult. But all we can do is try and push forward.
@hopeful I like how you put it to tell yourself that there ya go again thinking that way but you're gonna do it anyway. :) it's so nice to hear how other people cope and to learn new things. And it's so hard to not think that by doing the program in what we believe would be perfection causing it to not be as affective. But just by doing it in some way is so helpful for us. And we should just be proud of ourselves for taking some sort of action in our lives.
Right now I am trying to learn how to be mindful. This is pretty difficult. But just trying to take time out to sit and shut my mind off to the future and past and be in the hear and now. I'm reading a book and that is described in it. So I'm trying to work on that.
I thank you for all the responses they all have helped and make me feel a little more at ease ab some things. :) thanks again.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm

When I am down I try to list my acheivements and accomplishments, NO MATTER HOW SMALL.

This makes me feel good about what I HAVE done and takes the focus off of what I haven't done.

Like Lucinda said in one of her CD's, we probably have 300 negative thoughts in day !

Changing just a few of those negative thoughts to postive ( realistic, reasonable and rational ) ones

we can make ourselves feel more confident and strong.

Lynda

lucy knepp

Post by lucy knepp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Since I have retired and don't get out much I find it difficult to interact with people. A trip to the grocery store makes me anxious and wondering if I can get through the checkout without saying something stupid or fumbling for my cash or card. I think I must get out more. Then it should get easier..........maybe???? :roll:

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”