back after a long hiatus

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
newjourney

back after a long hiatus

Post by newjourney » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

hi everyone,
i'm kind of an alumnae of the program. i first did it around 12 years ago or so, when i first became aware that i had anxiety and panic, and probably depression too. it really helped me at the time, particularly to get rid of my panic attacks. i went back to the program again about four years ago, after the birth of my second child. then life just kind of took over, and here i am four years later, starting the program again. what's really interesting is that i still gain new insights/new ideas everytime i do the program. it's like my anxiety changes over time and has different manifestations. i know the program will help me again. right now what i battle primarily is fear of flying.... also extreme impatience/short fuse/anger behavior.....extreme caring about what other people think. the key i think is really the section on positive self talk. i amaze myself by how negative my thinking is... catastrophe thinking, what if thinking, you name it. also the lifestyle stuff.... i had fallen into a pattern of self medicating with wine... not to the point of being an alcoholic, but to the point where i began to reflect that it was getting dysfunctional, not exercising, not sleeping enough, not being kind to myself. if there's one or two things i plan to focus on in the coming weeks, it is positive self talk and self care.
anyways, i'm glad to be back on the program... plan to check in with the online group frequently.
good luck to all others out there who are working on the program, either for the first time, or a "frequent flyer" like me. :D

Andy219

Re: back after a long hiatus

Post by Andy219 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Glad to see that I am not the only frequent flyer here. I completely understand how life takes over, especially with kids. Wishing you the best!

THH

Post by THH » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi everyone,
I too have been going over the tapes again. I totally agree that the anxiety changes over time. I hear different things when going over the tapes again. Its good to refresh!
My best to both of you and everyone else who is needing a tune up! ;)

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Of course it would be nice if a one time experience would do it for all time. But it does not (necessarily) and this almost stands to reason. It's not brain surgery but is effective, as validated by many.

I must practice positive self-talk, meditation, exercising every day. Also do writing to clarify and reinforce what I feel I need to. Sometimes I think of it as being on a diet: it is a diet for life. Wishing everyone the best. Thank you for sharing.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Good to see you return, Newjourney! I agree, it is good to get a refresher as life keeps changing, so we have to challenges to face with the new changes. Paislee :mrgreen:

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 pm

newjourney: I am so glad that I read your post today! Today I started working on the CD's and the workbook again
and your posting was the first one I read when I logged in today to the website. Welcome back and hope to hear
from you again soon!

newjourney

Post by newjourney » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:52 am

hi lynda, welcome back!! i hope you find success again with the program. even if you think you know the program, i have found new insights/new takes on things everytime i listen to the cd.

mia1280

Post by mia1280 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm also back after a great 7 years. I lost my job last year, was lucky enough to get a new one, just married the man of my dreams and we bought a house 1 month later. Needless to say, I've got the anxious thoughts and worry again. I have been working on my positive thoughts somedays are easier than others. Today was a rough one. I am trying to stay positive. It is SO frustrating when you want to be happy, and you are so grateful for so much but you can't kick the thoughts. Part of me is too scared to listen to the cd's because I don't want to get worse as in, I don't want to pick up old habits or get deeper into it. Does anyone else feel that way? I have been able to keep my "head above the water" on most days, but there are moments when I feel like "what if I never get better". I know the first time I did this it changed my life for the better. Any help or support would be great. Thanks for posting.

Mia

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”