Any interaction between supplements and medicine

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
mosaic1989

Any interaction between supplements and medicine

Post by mosaic1989 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:08 am

I haven't started the supplements yet but do take an antidepressant and a medicine for anxiety. What I am wondering has anyone had any reactions when on medicine for depression and anxiety and taking the supplements. Any input would be most helpful, to help me decide if this is right for me. Thanks. :)

Iwillbebetter

Re: Any interaction between supplements and medicine

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 am

I think it would be a good idea, to take the "information packet" that comes with them, bring it to your doctor. He would know best if there would be any interactions with what you are currently on. :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

mosaic1989

Post by mosaic1989 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 pm

That would be great advise normally but the doctors here don't believe in herbals so, I just wanted to see if there was anyone that have had reactions between the supplements and medicine. But thanks! :)

John61

Post by John61 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 pm

The one thing you want to be careful of is taking 5-htp or something like that will boost Serotonin levels. If you add that to an SSRI there's a condition called Serotonin Syndrome, if you look into it you will see to much Serotonin can cause problems so you need to be careful.

You can also talk to a pharmacist if a doctor isn't available.

mosaic1989

Post by mosaic1989 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm

That's kinda what I thought I just might talk to a pharmacist and see what they think. Thanks all.

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm

mosaic1989 wrote:I haven't started the supplements yet but do take an antidepressant and a medicine for anxiety. What I am wondering has anyone had any reactions when on medicine for depression and anxiety and taking the supplements. Any input would be most helpful, to help me decide if this is right for me. Thanks. :)

I am also on medication for anxiety and depression and started taking the supplements. After about a week, I started having bad leg cramps in the middle of the night. As soon as I stopped taking the supplements, the leg cramps stopped. It may not do this to you and it could depend on what type of medication you are taking. If you take them and this happens to you, check with our doctor or just stop taking them and see what happens. One of my doctors said it should be ok for me to take a multi-vitamin.

mosaic1989

Post by mosaic1989 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks I appreciate the information. I called the pharmacist and she said no known interactions, but I'm being caution just taking the herb part once a day, in place of when I would take the 2nd dose of Lexapro. I want to get off that second dose anyway so this will help, I'd like to get down to 10mg. of Lexapro or get off it. But for now I'm watching for any symtoms. The thing I noticed is the 5HTP is a very low dose in this packet, so I feel safe trying it. But definitely watching it, and I thank you for your post, I will definitely be watching things. Once when I switched from Paxil to Effexor I got the brain zaps. Right before I got mania, so the serotonin syndrome might have been in play there. I appreciate all your concern. Thanks and hope all is well for all of you. :D

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Are there any side effects from taking melatonin while still taking
the anxiety and depression medications ? I may take melatonin
in the near future to help me sleep in place of my current
prescription sleep medications ? The only "supplement" I take
right now are iron pills from the drugstore. I am supposed
to be taking a calcium / Vitamin D supplement. What defines
a "supplement", is a supplement a vitamin or an herb ?

palani

Post by palani » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

What are the actual supplements you're taking ?

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Right now I am just taking 2 iron pills, ferrous sulfate, each day,
per my doctors orders because I have iron deficient anemia.

I am thinking about taking a calcium/ Vitamin D pill (Caltrate) once a day in the near future for my osteoporosis.

And I would like to start taking melatonin after my prescription sleep medications have run out
because I am interested in a more natural way to help me to sleep at night.

I am working on the program for the second time, starting again on 1-22-12, I am
on Session One at this time.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”