Hospitalization?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
dandjf

Hospitalization?

Post by dandjf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:07 pm

My biggest fear is having to go to the hospital for my anxiety/panic. I was reading Lucinda's Panic to Power book and came across a sentense that says, "hospitalization is not necessary for most people" and "some hospitals have inpatient treatment programs specializing in anxiety disorder". That freaked me out! I thought Lucinda said people with anxiety disorders don't go to mental hospital or any hospital. I'm seeing conflicting messages. I need to be assured so I can get rid of my "what if" I lose control and have to go to the ..........hospital....... I would appreciate your assurances!

tina martin

Re: Hospitalization?

Post by tina martin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:15 am

In today's preoccupation with doctors, treatments, with hospitals, we are apt to lose sight of the fact that we are in charge of ourselves and no-one else is. I have seen what all that (hospitalizations, etc.) has done to my brother and I have no intention to follow that path.

When one doctor retired and I went to a new one he asked about hospitalizations. I said, "Twice, when I gave birth to my son and daughter." He asked, surprised, "No other times?" "No" was my response and thinking, "Nor do I have any intention of changing that record." Do take heart: You have a say in where you go or don't go. In the meantime you are working the program, giving it your full care and attention and your anxiety will soon no longer find a convenient home in you.

tateman

Post by tateman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:50 am

relax ...its not the worst thing in the world.in fact it saved my life.you dont want to go unless you have to but if you get to a point that you need to go it can be like a vacation.this program is by far the best thing you can do for yourself and probably you wont have to be hospitolised becouse you have all the tools to be on your way to recovery.dont be afraid or anxious about the hospitol .those people are there to help you and it can b very comforting to know they are there for you. i know it can be very scary to enter a hospitol setting. i can promise that it will be a step forward once you get threw the inital shock. i am a nurse and i have worked with a lot of people in situations like this and i have been there myself. so be comforted to know it is not a bad thing .you can overcome this on your own you have the best imformation you could have by doing this program. i hope this will ease your feelings.most people dont have to go to the hospitol.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 pm

There are times when I would like to be at a hospital after working in one and seeing the help the patients were getting. Although, I wouldn't want to have to pay the bill. I also know that many people have been helped and didn't need to stay there long.

Although I like Tina's response on only being there for giving birth to her two children and those are her only plans.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 pm

I agree with tateman. I have also been in the hospital. And it also saved my life.
At that time I needed the safety and comfort that it provided,
along with the counseling and the help of the staff and the doctors there.
That was three years ago.
I am no longer embarrassed to admit that I needed the additional help a
behavioral health center / unit provided me.
I have been taking some medications and seeing a psychiatrist since then.
I currently am working on eliminating my medications and
restarting myself on the program.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”