Pregnant with Anxiety and Panic attacks.

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
ms2ndchance

Pregnant with Anxiety and Panic attacks.

Post by ms2ndchance » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I am 23 years old and I am 7 months pregnant with my first child. I have been living with panic attcks and anxiety for about 11 years now. I am so scared and stress out due to my anxiety ( which I know is not good for my child). I have tried going to a therapist, but he basically told me he can not help me because I am pregnant and instead of taking the time and trying something else to help me he want. All he want to do is put me on medicine. He actually had the nerve to tell me that I have been dealing with panic attacks/anxiety this long a couple more months won't hurt..( Funny isn't it and he calls hisself a therapist.. Bull!!!! :lol: ) I feel like sometimes it's just too much to bear. I just wish someone could and would help me. I am really terrified when I go into labor. I just keep thinking I am going to pass out or something bad is going to happen although I am thinking ahead and no one knows the future. I try not to think about it but it is something that's always in the back of my mind. Is there anyone out there who is pregnant or know someone who is pregnant that has/have panic attacks. Please help!!!!!!

LMH2011

Re: Pregnant with Anxiety and Panic attacks.

Post by LMH2011 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! There are so many women out there with panic and anxiety that have gone through pregnancies. I am one of them. I had the pleasure of having 2 "normal" pregnancies (although I had gestational diabetes, but no anxiety or panic at that time) and my last pregnancy which I went through with horrible panic and anxiety. I decided not to use medication during my 3rd pregnancy because of a bad experience with Klonopin. I ended up having to terminate a pregnancy because of that drug. There was something seriously wrong with the baby and my health was in danger. That was from only 2 weeks of use - I ended up pregnant and didn't plan for it. Anyway,I went on to have a perfectly healthy baby 2 years later. He is my 3rd child and just turned one last week.

Pregnancy comes with a lot of anxiety - there are so many unknowns that even a "normal" person worries. When I had my first 2 daughters, I was worried to death, but at that time, I didn't suffer from anxiety and panic. It wasn't until a year after my 2nd child was born that I developed it. But this last pregnancy went so smoothly, no complications, I was not high risk. I did have an issue with super high blood pressure after the delivery (I had a c-section), but it was controlled with medication and I went home 2 days after delivery. I was off of my blood pressure medication in 2 weeks. Honestly, I think they just overfilled me with IV fluids and that was what caused the spike in blood pressure because everything else was fine. Even though I suffered from panic attacks daily during my pregnancy, I have the happiest, healthiest little boy. I talked with my doctor at length and the medicine that they give you for anxiety during pregnancy is worse for the baby than having a panic attack. So don't worry about harming your baby. You are doing great!

Everything that you are worried about is very normal. Every woman fears the worst, but it's what you do with that fear that matters. Use it to your advantage and use it as positive energy. Your body is an amazing machine and knows what to do when it comes time to have a baby. You just have to sit back and let it do what it needs to do and you will be fine! Let the doctors do their jobs! Most of all, try to enjoy your pregnancy - every little ache, pain, movement, milestone, shopping for baby items, picking names.....all of that will be something you miss shortly after you deliver. And you will look back and say "it really wasn't so bad, I wish I had enjoyed it more"!! Trust me....you will do great and you will be just fine!!

ccal727

Post by ccal727 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

Hi. I am pregnant too and my anxiety is out of control. This is my third baby. My anxiety disorder has become almost unbearable since I found out. I did not want any more children but my husband desperately did. I feel lost, alone and scared every minute. I am looking for a support group in my area but so far have found none.

LMH2011

Post by LMH2011 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 pm

ccal727 - Those anxiety hormones can really throw you for a loop. I wasn't too keen on having a 3rd child, so this pregnancy was unexpected, but my husband really wanted another one. I knew that my anxiety would be horrific during pregnancy because I'd have to go through another c-section and I was convinced that I would die during surgery and leave behind 3 children. I already had 2 girls and I wanted another girl, but when I found out that I was having a boy, I was so mad and all I did was cry. But let me tell you - my 3rd pregnancy was the best one and I would go through it a thousand more times just to have the little boy that I thought I didn't want. He is the light of my life and I feel so guilty for thinking that I didn't want a boy. I would be lost without him. When I'm having a bad day, his smile turns it all around. You will get through this and you will feel the same way. And don't feel bad if the feeling of love doesn't hit you as soon as they put the baby in your arms. It didn't for me. It wasn't until I thought to myself, "gee, he's kinda cute", that I started to open up to the idea that he was mine. It might take a little while, but I'm willing to bet that you two will be inseperable. ;)

ms2ndchance

Post by ms2ndchance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello everyone and thank you so much for responding. LMH2011, I try not to worry and let my anxiety/pa get the best of me but sometimes it can be just so overwhelming. Before I got pregnant I was on medication due to high blood pressure. Since becoming pregnant my doctors took me off medication cause of the side effects. My blood pressure has been under control while pregnant. My doctor told me that sometime with pregnancy some conditions get better or you might develop some conditions while pregnant in my situation she told me that my bp has gotten better. That really made me feel better. I'm really going to try and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. I know that God will protect me and my little angel. I wish my anxiety and pa would have disappeared. That would have been really great. You guys really made me feel better. Talk to you guys later!!!

ms2ndchance

Post by ms2ndchance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 pm

ccal727: I know how you feel. I try not let the anxiety get the best of me. I did not want a baby at first and even thought about abortion. I just could not bear with myself if I did something like that. I decided just to keep my baby. I love her and she isn't even here yet. When I get down and depressed I just pray and hope online. I find that the stress center really helps me take my mind of what ifing or panicking. I'm seven months pregnant and to be honest since this is my first pregnancy it has not been that bad. I'm beginning to count down the days. I'm scared but I know that the Lord will be with us. Remember that you are not alone and you and your lil one will be just find..

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”