Share your most successful coping strategies

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
JR5

Re: Share your most successful coping strategies

Post by JR5 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Arlenez wrote:I also recommend the TEA forms from the book by Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske mentioned above. They have helped me immensely and really are not that difficult to incorporate into your routine once you get over the learning curve with them :D
That has certainly been true for me as well. I do them first thing in the morning :mrgreen:

egriff

Post by egriff » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:15 pm

tina martin wrote:Glad you agree, egriff. We don't know about Obitz today, but judging from my own experience I know I must keep alive every bit of CBT I've picked up from just about anywhere, including Obitz. What I esp. like about TEA are the Error categories, his and some I've added from elsewhere or on my own.

If we are prone to.....whatever.....it is my belief we must keep at it as best we can just about every day. After all, this is not surgery; it is reconditioning as I see it. I meditate twice a day without fail. Can't praise it enough.
Tina we are certainly on the same page. I believe exercise and meditation are helpful too :D
I think the thing people forget is what you mentioned it is reconditioning and continued practice/repetition makes the skills grow stronger in us :mrgreen:

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 am

Shall I belabor that I've said before and you picked up? Yes, yes, yes. Daily meditation and daily varied exercise mean the world to my attempts at well being.

Add that to the program here, the principles of CBT, and the possibilities are boundless. Thank you for picking up on it maybe others can too.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 pm

tina
I admire your dedication !
Keep up the great work !
You are an inspiration to us all.
Lynda :)

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 am

How sweet of you, Lynda, thank you. Truth is, it is not easy, I've been at it for years, and must continue to work at it every day. It is a reconditioning of ourself. We can do so much for ourself and help each other.

Samcat has written a fabulous post in "Hi I'm New." I will tell her so and try to somehow keep her post up there for everyone to read.

egriff

Post by egriff » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 pm

tina martin wrote:Shall I belabor that I've said before and you picked up? Yes, yes, yes. Daily meditation and daily varied exercise mean the world to my attempts at well being.

Add that to the program here, the principles of CBT, and the possibilities are boundless. Thank you for picking up on it maybe others can too.
Please do belabor that point as doing so reinforces the positive effects of repetition :D

Thx for the nice reply and keep up the great work!

tina martin

Post by tina martin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:17 am

Shall we keep up the great work together? It does take repetition to achieve those positive results.

We could start with the simplest exercise: walking. I walk almost every day, aware of the sky, clouds, air, trees, flowers, fragrance, shrubs, grass, birds. It is part of my daily routine, good for body and soul.

Asamsyd

Post by Asamsyd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:03 am

What typically works for me is either cleaning (let's face it, peple with anxiety and ocd can clean like no other!), I also will do my nails because it takes focus. Play a game on the computer, text a friend about random things. Or even listen to Grace To You. When all else fails, just lay down and say to yourself, "I'm just going to let this anxiety hurry up and get over with so I can do something else". You control it, it doesn;t control you. :) I hope that helps!!

heartstar

Post by heartstar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 am

I recently took up painting. I went out one day and decided that I needed something else to concentrate on, so I bought a handful of paints, some brushes and some canvases. I then got some ideas for what I wanted to paint and I sat down and did them. I used to paint as a child and have always liked art, so I thought "what the heck?" Anyway, I find that when I'm concentrating on the colours, mixing them, the textures, etc. I loose myself in those moments and don't think about my anxiety. I don't get my obsessive and "what if" thoughts and often creep in to my mind. Once I've completed a picture, I feel really proud too, so it's a win win. I'm also not painting for anyone else, so it's satisfying doing an activity that is not in any way related to someone else's expectations or judgement. I now add to my paint collection weekly and like thinking about what I'm going to paint next.

egriff

Post by egriff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:40 pm

tina martin wrote:Shall we keep up the great work together? It does take repetition to achieve those positive results.
Great idea.... The more the merrier and it helps to have others support and provides more motivation :D

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”