Marriage fading fast

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:20 am

Originally posted by hope4peace:
So one of our neighbors has been going through a horrible time with their son. She's always crying to my husband. My husband comes in last night ranting about how horrible he feels for her and how much she's suffering. Instantly I felt anger towards him. He didn't seem to care as much when I was suffering :( ugh, I don't feel loved at all. This is just another example of how I feel he sweeps me under the carpet and dismissed my worth. What about me? I cry inside...what about me
Have you told him this? Have said "Hubby, it hurts when it seems like you care about Neighbor's problems, but I don't feel like you care about my problems" ?

There is a model that is a good way for telling someone about your feelings in a non-confrontational way: "When you do _______, I feel ________. This may or may not be your intention, but it is how I feel. "

Here is a trick my mom taught me (without her knowing it) when I talked to my fiance about something that he's doing that bothers me. Like say for instance I'm upset that he's not helping me out with the housework or something. I say "Fiance, I'd like to do a better job keeping the house cleaned... but sometimes it just gets really overwhelming with work and school and everything else going on in our lives. Do you think you could help me out? Sometimes when I have to do everything alone, I feel stressed out and incapable of doing things. Do you ever feel this way too?"

If I can really clearly explain how I'm feeling and give a suggestion that is not threatening (better than saying "You never help me out with cleaning!"), he's all for helping me out. Maybe you could try this with your husband, too?

Another thing you have to keep in mind, is that for someone who does not have anxiety problems, they will NEVER understand how hard it is. I don't expect my fiance to understand everything that is wrong with me, but I do expect him to support me as best as he can. He's imperfect, though, and sometimes he'll miss the mark.... that's ok, because so will I!

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:15 am

I secondo what 'WantMyOldSelf' has to say--you need to open up and let your fiance know that his being there for your neighbor hurts you.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:16 am

hey there, when your husband is telling you about having compassion for your neighbor, that is verbal abuse. the neighbor is trying to draw him in. tell him this. :mad:anita

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:42 am

Posted September 08, 2006 11:16 AM
hey there, when your husband is telling you about having compassion for your neighbor, that is verbal abuse. the neighbor is trying to draw him in. tell him this. anita
kp, I think that would just add fuel to her fire. You don't fight fire with fire....usually.

But, she must directly confront him with that one. She has gotta say something like....you know....I'm busy running around nonstop, having problems with depression and you feel sorry for the neighbor lady.... This lady may abuse the situation....ie affair...you name it.

I do know this be very assertive and not over the top when you do confront him.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi hope4peace, I don't know what to say,or really how to say it, but felt compelled to write to your post. I hate to be the alarmist, but your marriage needs definite help. More importantly you must find the inner strength to deal with the best, or need be the worse, your husband can dish out. I don’t wan to cause more anxiety, I just wanted you to be aware that sometimes people do use a marriage's problems to make themselves feel better. I too had a neighbor who whined and moaned to my husband about her marriage (in this case). My husband and her proceeded to partake in an emotional affair, that was far more devastating to me and my marriage and my friendship with my husband than his eventual physical affair with someone else. I believe that his emotional affairs just opened the door for his eventual cheating, as he already disrespected our marriage and friendship, going further didn't seem too bad to him. Needless to say, I have been working almost exclusively for the past two years to regain my self-respect and liking myself. And I have tried almost exclusively to regain my marriage. I honestly thought at the time that my husband and I could have used the lesson of his affairs to make our marriage even better and stronger than ever, but if we both worked on it. He has done little work, and I am very resentful. I too love him, he was my best friend, and there are times he seems to be now, but he still always invested more time in his own pursuits, and other people than me or our marriage. I guess he figures I will take care of it, as I always do. I love him very much, for we shared a lot, but the love is not deeper as I had hoped. And it's not without heartache from me. No, he no longer cheats, emotionally or physically, but all those times he could have really worked on us to make it better he let lapse. And it makes it harder to feel in love with him. It really affects everything. Like you, I don't want to leave, I want things to change. But hoping doesn't making it happen. Both spouses must work, and not criticize. During husband's affairs, he was very critical, just prior and during. Even since, he has really laid into me on occasions, so much I would have preferred any other form of abuse.

I have no suggestions as what you and he can do, but you must be strong. And not expect for him to help you. You help you, no matter what that means to your marriage. Your kids come first, and you. Don't feel guilty because you have anxiety or depression. It's life. Whatever. We all have our challenges. Your husband is not perfect. He is not above fault. He needs to take responsibility in his marriage and in his role as a father. He can't make comments to you because your child is not perfect. She shouldn't have to be. She is a person, a young lady trying to find her way, discovering herself. We all were there once. Has he forgotten? My husband does the same with our 8 yr old, like he was sooo perfect as a child. NO, he was just different from her, not better, not worse. Most people aren't. They are just different.

You can read my previous posts, I am a basketcase, and of no use in offering advice, but I just wanted you to know that these things could be warning signs. But they may not be. Please proceed without causing yourself more anxiety or depression, but with making yourself feel more confident, for yourself and your kids. Your marriage will most likely benefit from that, even if it's just from you.

And you can move on from getting hurt. But it is different, and can't be expected to be the same after so much hurt. My husband and I are not the same, we could be better than ever, but from my view, we are not. He has hurt me too much without trying to make up, too many times. But I know that if he did some work, we could be better, I could let the guard down and let go of the resentment. But it's possible. Always when you love someone....even when you don't know why you do sometimes. And if he doesn't want it to work...that is his problem, not a reflection of you. He makes his own decisions based on his life, shortcomings, experiences, whatever. He may not be mature enough to handle these responsibilities. As a spouse, we are responsible to our spouse, to help our spouse above all others. Not your neighbor. He should respect that, no matter how innocent it is. So what if he just talks to her and gets upset for her, so he says. But it matters because you feel unloved and not as cared about. The same would hold true if the neighbor was a man and he invested more emotionally in his friend than you. As a spouse, and father, the family and mate must come first.

that's all for now, sorry so long. You took out time to help me, and I want to help you.

take care

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:01 am

Originally posted by hope4peace:
She's always crying to my husband. My husband comes in last night ranting about how horrible he feels for her and how much she's suffering. Instantly I felt anger towards him.
You have every right to feel angry. Please be careful and keep your eyes open. I don't know your husband and how to address this with him, but here is what I'd do.

I would simply say "when you spend time with the neighbor sharing her personal problems, it hurts me. I feel left out and wish that you could support me that way. I get worried that you guys are too close. Should I be worried?"

Using the "I feel" statements you're less likely to put him on the defensive. My hubby and I had problems early on on our dating having to do with a girl at work using him for emotional support. I had to put a stop to it because I didn't think it was appropriate. Years later we had some counseling together and learned a lot about how to discuss things without putting the other on the defensive.

If he really cares he'll stop. If he doesn't care then you have to make some hard decisions in my opinion. Choose to accept that or choose to make radical changes. For the sake of the child hopefully you guys can work it out.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 am

Thank you wassup and Faith for your replies. I probably should have been a little more specific about the lady. I'm in my early 30s and she is late 50s, soooo I don't really think there is an issue there lol...or maybe there could be nowadays you never know but really that wasn't why I was upset. I was upset just mainly because he seems to care so much about others in pain but when it comes to me...no sympathy...maybe because I don't show weakness that much. Oh well, I know we really need some help in communication. He just likes to pretend nothing is wrong and ME, well, I of course, blow everything to the 10th degree!! Thank you all for you kind replies. I appreciate you letting me vent.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:02 am

Want,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I truly need work, as does my husband, in communication. I'm one to instantly attack.."you did this..." "I hate when ...." SOOOO I do need BIG help with this. I can on ocassion be reasonable but it depends on the day, you know?! Time for Dr. Phil! What's his number??? LOL

Thank you all again for your replies. Hopefully I can work in the suggestions you have made.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 am

(((hope4peace))))

That makes sense. Well, I was told by our marriage counselor once "why don't you try showing your weakness and soft side instead of yelling at him."

It was true at the time. Whenever I would get my feelings hurt I would start yelling at him. I have finally found that gently asking for something coming from my "woman-ness" works much better than screaming at him.

I'm not saying you're doing that, but . . .

We're here for ya!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:36 am

Hi,
It took me a while to read through all the posts. i have been married for 17 years. What happens in out marriage is the each of us expects more out of the other without actually saying anything. If my wife needs help with something... i am expected to "read her mind" and know what she wants. I always say whats on my mind. That is my problem. Sometimes I had said my mind in hurtful ways. (emotionally) We went through hell with infertility adopted two children and then had our last one naturally. My wife has never understood my depression/anxiety and I used that as a weapon for too many years with the "poor me's" She is not my enemy.... I am am my enemy. I chose to let what she says bother me. I have told her that several times. I have never cheated on her. I know she has been online with other men, and caught her using a phone card to call someone last month for 200+ minutes. She said she made the calls but did not own up to anything. I told her she was not worth me getting upset and I needed to worry about my own mental health. All of a sudden, I get all kinds of help around the house. I just picked up the car she bought me with her inheritance yesterday. She does what she has to do.... when I was told (this is more then you guys prolly need to know) that sex with her was like being a prostitute, I wrote i down and carried it in my wallet. I told her I told my friends what she says. and that she was not that proffessional. Was it petty of me?? Oh yeah it was. I live for my kids , if she wants to have a relationship then fine... I need to concentrate on me. I am the one who can make me feel better. I still cook everynite.. I do shopping, work 50 hours a week. Not for her... for me. If she wants a relationship i am here. Expressing my feeling only leads to petty arguments where I get alot more upset than her. Our marriage faded a long time ago. But... it takes two to tango. I am at fault too, but she lives in the past.. I am moving foward. I could write forever. My situation isnt easy, but I choose it! The program is helping me alot. I keep positive and trying to learn about me. Only in this way can I help my family.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”