This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
drussel

Post by drussel » Sun May 11, 2008 12:49 am

I am trying really, really hard. I know I have to change a lot of negative thinking in my life. I practicely have anxiety all the time now. I'm in my 6th week of the program. Here's my question- 4 monthes before I started having anxiety attacks I was taking 60 mg. of cymbalta. I was feeling great but gaining weight and lazy, so my doctor cut it down to 30 mg. Should I go back to the 60 mg. while using the program? What are your views on this. I have a lot of anxiety and depression because of the anxiety and I don't know if I can concentrate as much.

denniz

Post by denniz » Sun May 11, 2008 1:31 am

Hi Drussel,
I think you should talk to your doctor about other options with medications.There are alot of them out there and you might find one that makes you feel great and dosen't make you gain weight. I also noticed that you said you were in your 6th week of the program and you registered on May 4th. Are you getting sessions down faster than one week per session? If so maybe take your time and get the most out of each session. I'll keep you in my prayers and good luck.

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 am

i had a question about the date too--but i noticed it is 2005--
is this your first time through the program?

i think discussing this medication question with a therapist and/or doctor is wise. . . . i have to disagree a bit with garnet--because, while i think it's fine to take medication to help with functioning--i think "great" may be an overstatement. maybe garnet meant healthy/good. . . . i say all this to say--the program/life in general is hard work--and often times you will feel it.

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 3:07 am

I put off buy the program until this year. Remember my anxiety level is high and staying high. I can't sit still. It's even hard to focus on the program.

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 5:02 am

isn't cymbalta more of an anti-depressant?
you are saying your main problem is anxiety--so what tools are available to you, medicine and otherwise to start to relax and focus on the things that are important?
relaxation excercises such as deep breathing--massage, etc.
follow the program as outlined--doing your best with the relaxation tape and homework
and speak to a professional as succinctly as possible about the medicine. . .

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 5:35 am

I have a friend that just started taking Cybalta for panic attacks. She says it is really helping.

I don't tolerate medications very well so I am working on breathing, relaxing, not worrying so much what people think. . . trying to slow down and stop the negative thoughts.

I'm so much better than I was before, but had a setback this weekend. It keeps me humble ;)

Feeling better now that the day is underway though.

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 6:24 am

Cymbalta can be for both. My Doctor feels that depression could lead on my anxiety. It did help when I was taking 60 mg.

debra2005

Post by debra2005 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:36 am

So, does Cymbalta come in 60mg and 30mg tabs or capsules? Is there anyway to take 45mg instead of going back to 60mg?

I take older meds which are tabs, so when I need to cut down it's a lot easier to half a tab or quarter a tab. Whereas the new meds are more difficult to take half of since some are capsules. I don't know why the pharm. companies started this. Anyway, my suggestion would be to try to increase it some and if you can't take less than 60mg to go back to 60mg.

My experience has always been that when I need less meds that my brain will signal that to me usually through sleeping much longer (12 hours at a time or more instead of 7 or 8), and sometimes the appetite being out of control as well (literally over night). That sounds like what was happening to you, i.e. lazy and weight gain.

At a higher dose of meds, as you work the program and find it working for you, you will probably find you need less meds and hopefully one day be off of it completely. I'm down 80% on meds since starting the program several years ago. Off of anti-anxiety meds totally.

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 7:11 pm

I, too, have found this to be a difficult program, probably because it's very hard to teach a very old dog new tricks. Anti-anxiety and antidpressants have been in my life for at least forty years. I listen to the tapes (I'm taking my time) and read the books, and I still have that general anxiety and depression every day of my life. I have been blessed many times over in my life, but have also had my share of sorrows and tragedys that have really been hard to deal with. Twenty one years ago I was chemically dependant to prescription drugs following many years of back pain and then surgery. I believed my doctor when he would give me another perscription. He didn't tell me to go off what I was already one, so I didn't. I went off of all my meds totally 'cold turkey' and it about done me in. The doctor then slowly put me back on just the two meds. To make a long story shorter, I have been told that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain. Sometimes I feel like St. Paul when he talks about doing what he knows he should not do...but I keep plugging away and praying that this program will help me. In my heart of hearts I really don't think at this stage in my life that I will ever be able to eliminate all of the anxiety and depressant XR's. I have to beleve I am not a bad person for taking them. I know that I need to boost my self esteem, my confidence, get rid of my "should'ves" and my "gottas"...but it is easier said then done.
If I could get rid of this 'lump' in my throat that nags at me all the time, it would help.

And then again, God said it wouldn't be easy.

<span class="ev_code_RED">"Life is not waiting for the storm to pass ~ It's learning to dance in the rain."</span>

Just an old G'ma ~ :roll:

natalief

Post by natalief » Mon May 12, 2008 2:08 am

Dear Luvlife,
I hear your frustration and i to will probley have the same diagnoses from my doc. We may try to ween off in the next month or so and i am really scared to do it. I was in a really dark hole befor i went back on anti-dep. I have realised that i may never be able to come off them and that is ok with me except that the drugs im on are REALLY expensive. I only hope that i can afford them.
Anyways, what you may need to realise is that if you are chemically dependent, it maybe also becouse it is in your family genes/history and if it is you have no control over that. It is just that.You didn't do anything wrong!! It is just how our body chemistry is. Lucinda would probley agree with that.She did say in one of the tape that some people can't come off there meds.If you could find out some how what she ment by that it may help. There are times in life that we have no control of what happens and we just have to find it in ourselves to except it and move on.
Now that isn't always easy to do and i can understand that totally. I learned something a long time ago. What we resist will persist. So for me that is what i don't want to accept it will bother me untill i accept it for whatever it is. This is not always easy but it is so true. Stay strong you can do it!! Sarah

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”