Acid Reflux anyone

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
latishaslove

Post by latishaslove » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:52 am

Tommy g,

"Losing my mind," is a very scary thought and I bet your stomach shot out a huge amount of acid when you thought that. Lesson 3!!!! Please! get moving on lesson 3. Read a couple of books on the mind-body connection.

Carolyn

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 am

Originally posted by Tommy_g:
Ive been on medications five years straight all the ones mentioned seems when I worry about another disase it gets better.Last scope showed damage,som we are doubling the medcine i eat bland i still get it.Umless another fear comes im burning,im losing my mind.
Tommy
I have been suffering with Panic and anxiety for over 10 years and IBS for a few years. Most recently I have been hit bad with GERD symptoms and most of the medications Ive tried dont work. (over the counter antacids, pepcid, protonix, prilosec otc). I was on Paxil and Lexapro for a combined 5 years but I have been off all medications for almost a year until this GERD started. Now I am taking nexium which helps minimally. But last night I came across a Dr. who has done much research on the GERD-Panic link, and I am thinking of going back on some type of anxiety medication to see if it helps the GERD.

The fact that your GERD goes away when you worry about other problems should tell you something. It is less physical problem and more mental, if you stop thinking about it it goes away. Here is a quote from this Dr. You can google his name, Dr. Shipko.

"Almost everyone with panic disorder or stress induced anxiety is going to have GERD. On the other hand, people with untreated GERD often develop anxiety.

In either case, treatment of anxiety is helpful to GERD. My research indicates that GERD secondary to anxiety is probably due to duodenal-gastric bile reflux. As such, I treat it with Xanax (which inhibits CCK and therefore bile release) and Carafate which binds bile and forms a bandage over eroded gastric mucosa.

Xanax is a tricky drug to work with, and few doctors understand it anymore (the last educational lecture on it was over 15 years ago). The SSRIs have a whole set of problems that make them a second choice to Xanax for any panic anxiety. The PPI's seem to be less specific for bile GERD -- motility stimulators are a problem in anxiety related GERD."

I know this thread is old but I came here searching for answers to the same question basically so figured I would post it to help others as well.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”