What is it about spring and anxiety?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
MissJitterzbegone

Post by MissJitterzbegone » Mon May 01, 2006 7:02 am

Every spring without fail, I get that very spacey feeling that accompanies anxiety. I do not experience this spacey feeling at all in the Fall or winter. What is the explanation for this? It usually disapears by summer. I just find it very odd and hate the feeling. It has been happening to me now for over 20 years.

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 7:22 am

MissJitterzbegone, I know what you mean. I personally am a "cloudy day" person. I have fair skin and am sensitive to the sun. When Spring comes on the brightness of the sun, the noises of people being busy and my windows coming open to hear it all seems to overwhelm my senses at first. As I grow used to it, its affects on me lessen. I prefer the cloudy days, but they go away this time of year. I try to come out a little slower. I'm not sure if that helps, but its my explanation for what happens to me. Be kind to yourself.
ctrip

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 7:24 am

I've been thinking about that at times lately. My thinking is, atleast for me, Spring signifies a sort of "coming out of hibernation" and there tends to be a lot more activity, events and things to do in the Spring. It tends to make me more anxious and more pressured to feel good because it's spring. I dont know, does that make any sense?
Joc

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 7:32 am

Sure, both of your responses made sense. In fact, thinking about it, I think it is because I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself at this time of year to "measure up" because everyone is baring their thin bodies of which I do not have!! Plus, this time of year and summer means "planning" social events, like hooking up with family more and barb b ques and social things which I get anxious about. Hmmmmm I think I might have answered my own question. But for the love of pete, do I have to feel so stoned and out of touch with reality cuz of this? I can handle everything else but good grief, this spaced out feeling drives me insane.

Leopolda

Post by Leopolda » Mon May 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi! Actually, my doctor told me that it actually could be partially physiological, too. Allergies, air conditioning, longer days...all of this can contribute to that "out of it" feeling. I get more anxiety, too, at this time of the year. I have horrible allergies that cause me to feel sleepy all the time which makes me more susceptible to anxiety, I think.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.....Mother Theresa

Post by Guest » Tue May 02, 2006 12:41 am

Do you have allergies? That really does it for me :(

Post by Guest » Tue May 02, 2006 2:36 am

It seems everyone has their own opinions and attitudes about the changing seasons. I've lived out in the mid-west now for a dozen years. Every winter about a month or so before spring I find myself yearning for the snow and cold to go away since I grew up in a warm climate and I look to do things that will put my mind onto the seasons that I prefer.

I'll wear a hawaiian shirt and play music with a tropical sound. This helps me focus. Sometimes I'll get funny looks or silly comments about wearing a hawaiian shirt and flip-flops in the cold weather but I just shrug my shoulders, smile and say, "I'm just willing the warmer weather here sooner." It usually gets a chuckle from those I have that little interaction with. It's fun to see a smile come onto their face and that also brightens my day when I know I've made somebody else smile. :)

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 am

I googled "Spring Anxiety" and found this thread.

I never made the connection that I feel out of sorts in the springtime until last year. I am the mother of two boys, one who is just like my husband......the younger is just like me.

Mini me was in preschool and he really enjoyed it until the spring. Then I noticed him showing signs of severe anxiety - a normally happy go lucky kid (like me). His teacher was a wonderful, positive, happy influence and it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I was pretty stressed out over his anxiety.....that's when I made the connection: I, too, feel this way every spring.

Determined to spare my child what I now realized I have suffered wtih a lifetime, I went in search of answers.

I spoke with Minime's pediatician - wondered if it was the allergy medication he started taking in the spring? Or, perhaps the allergies trigger anxiety? He changed his allergy medication and said if he continues to feel anxious, call him and we will try a different route. He then told me that anxiety is hereditary (funny - never mentioned that I suffer from springtime anxiety - did he read it on my face?). He told me not to drive myself crazy trying to make rational sense out of irrational emotions, call him with an update.

I discussed the problem with Minime's principal, her diagnosis? She said he is a very creative child. She wouldnh't be surprised if he grew up to be a writer or an artist. She said his imagination is probably working overtime. She just described minime......and me.

So, anxiety is hereditary and seems to effect those who are creative. That's us. But like my pediatrician said, putting a rational reason on it doesn't make it go away.

His anxiety and mine subsided once school ended. A vacation in June really seemed to help us both. So this year I have a spring time anxiety plan: a camping trip much earlier, some much needed exercize. And here I sit, anxious, hoping it works out. But comforted, if only slightly, by the realization that it will subside. Looks like I am capable of some rational thought, after all. I'll keep you posted.

Any thoughts, book recommendations, exercizes or crazy ideas on how to curb anxiety for an 39 year old woman and her 6 year old protege, we would love to give it a whirl.

Thanks for reading and sharig your stories.
-Tracy

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 am

Good Morning Everyone :) :) :),
Just a "wild" guess, but the "cloudy day" thing may fit in well with the mood of a person, so when the sun begins filtering through, that wouldn't match the mood of the person who is accustomed to "living in a darker atmospheric place" ;)

Also, Spring is a time of rebirth!!! Everyone does come out of hibernation and there are more "responsibilities" to do around our homes!!! My guess would be that would cause one to become more anxious...

I feel this way about Fall!!! I absolutely love the beauty of Fall, but I dread it because it is so close to the long dreary winter months!!!

I must say this winter didn't seem as long as most winters and that is a very good thing, since my moods tend to match the weather ;)

I think all of us are suffering from some "type" of seasonal disorder thingy ;)

Have a great day....

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”