Journaling - What Good is it?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:30 am

For the first 8 weeks of the Attacking Anxiety program, I was pretty good about journaling. However, in the last couple weeks, I've been really slacking off. I am not seeing the point of journaling. What am I supposed to be getting out of it?
"Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!"

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 am

I think its different for everyone. I havent' started the program yet, so I don't know how journaling fits into it.

For myself though, I find writing my thoughts down to be helpful because it provides me with greater clarity and focus, as opposed to just thinking about stuff randomly. I've come to realize certain things about myself after I've written it down and thought about it. Without writing it down, my thoughts can sometimes leap from one topic to the next and I get overwhelmed. By writing it down, I'm able to focus on a specific feeling that bothering me, and am better able to focus on and analzye that feeling.

I also find it somewhat cathartic. In some ways its like talking to someone about it, except you're talking about it with the person who matters most, yourself. Just the act of getting those thoughts out on paper and acknowledging that they exist and I'm working towards dealing with them has made me feel better on a number of occasions.

Finally, I think it provides a good way to track your progress over time by going back and re-reading your thoughts. Sometimes you may feel like you haven't been improving, but by going back and comparing recent to older entries you can see that, while you still may be having issues you're actually doing much better than before.

Karl67

Post by Karl67 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:39 am

I think that is well said Hopeless (I'd rather call you Hopeful). All I can add, is that I went to a Psychologist pretty regularly for a couple of years. He and I weren't able to uncover the things about myself that I have recently been able to uncover by using the program (particularly Lesson 12) and journaling.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:38 am

Journaling is a very enlightening thing to do. You write down those nagging negetive thoughts, and the write down positive ones to off set the negative. It really works. Its an awesome way of showing your stuff that makes you more anxious, occurances etc. And the better you start feeling, when you look back where you started its awesome to see how you are coming along. It good to actually write down all the "crap"negatives, and then get down to what positives are and how they can make a differnce in your attitude and your thinking... Take Care :) nelly

Jenelle

Post by Jenelle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 am

I have been journaling or blogging for a little over a year. I started it before I got the program, but I like to do it because it keeps a diary of my progress. I like to go back and re-read posts I made a year ago and see how far I have come or areas I need to improve. I think that if journaling becomes something you feel is giving you more anxiety, then maybe take a break from it. It isn't for everyone and that's okay.
Jenelle

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:20 am

O.K. I'll keep at it, even if all I do is write that I don't have anything to write about. I was never much one for discussing my emotions or innermost thoughts, so I guess like most new things, it takes some practice or getting used to.
"Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!"

darmm55

Post by darmm55 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm having a hard time with journaling.. I don't know what to write.. Should I just write what I do and how I'm feeling? Figuring out the negative thoughts is hard for me..What is everyone writing about? I keep reading where you guys/gals are writing lots of stuff.. I can't come up with anything. And I'm also having a hard time navigating on this whole forum. There's so much.. I feel lost and can't figure out how to reply to and/or follow the subjects. I was trying to respond to the people who have agoraphobia like I do and I keep winding up going to other subjects..

joann w.

Post by joann w. » Thu May 28, 2009 2:49 pm

journaling, is my favorite tool that help me figure out things in my head. When everything was so out of control, and i did not know if i was coming or going in life. My mind was not my mind to use. it was filled horrible scary thoughts, that i could not get them out of my head. I pick up a pen one day and never put it down, it became a part of me that i could talk to and find answers in the my writing.I could write anything in my journal , because it was mine, if i chose to share it, i could, if not i did not. it gave me control of my world a little more, then i did before.i learned a lot about myself and found my passion on my journey through my writing.
what can you get out of jounraling " well lots of things". learn new things about yourself,a place to fall apart,a place in your scary mind to find peace.
If you keep writing you might even find your way out of your nightmare like i did :) keep jounraling and it might be the key that you are looking for in life for peace.
i would tell anybody, give it a try and you might be surprise, what you get out of it thanks take care Joann w.

darmm55

Post by darmm55 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Joann w. Thank you for the advice..I'm getting lots of ideas of what to write now from your response and others. I like to write with a pen or pencil and paper, but have a fear of others reading it as some of it might be about them. But I think the only way out of that is to pass- word protect something in WORD or a journal on-line.. It seems to me like a journal like what you keep is sort of like a best friend and you turn to it with everything, what a great idea. I'M GOING TO START NOW.. thank you very much, you've helped me a lot with this. :)

joann w.

Post by joann w. » Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 pm

When i started journaling, i did not have a clue what to write, one day i pick up my pen and wrote what ever was in my head, even if it did not make sense. Whatever you are releasing through your writing, is a good thing. it less things in your head that can drive you crazy.The more you write, the more you can see into your mind, by what you are writing about. Somethings it does not seem like it helps you in anyway and other times you just and write and everything comes out at once.
Do not worry to much about what you write , just write and it will be OK. good luck grammar is not my strong point in my writing. so try to overlook it, while you read my message. thanks Joann w.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”