exercise and scary symptoms

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Cara

Post by Cara » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:33 am

Does anyone ever get symptoms when they are exercising? I am only 21 and I exercise almost everyday so I think I am in pretty good shape, but sometimes I get the awful feeling like my heart jumps in my throat or like i can't breathe when I am working out. It scares me so much. Does this happen to anyone else ever and do you think its something else serious or just anxiety? thanks...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 am

I exercise alot as well. My areobic exercise consisits of running and my best guess is that you need to pratice breathing techniques. When you run or exert energy, proper breathing will enhance your workout and you will feel so much better afterwords

all the best

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 am

I remember one time I was at the gym doing 50 minutes of cardio and I felt just fine, but afterwards when I stepped off of the elliptical machine, a panic attack hit me because my heart was racing and I could hardly breathe. I think because we have anxiety, we associate those feelings with our scary symptoms. It helps to differentiate between saying "oh god this is scary" to "This is what my body is supposed to be doing while working out, it's healthy and good for me!" Also, make sure you're breathing like you should be while you're working out, drink plenty of water and don't work yourself too hard!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:05 am

Hi,

Like everything else panic distracts our brains from what is really bothering us. I think this is what you are experiencing.. sometimes I get worse with exercise simply b.c. i am thinking while I do it.. and the cycle goes from there, keep writing down what you were thinking before you felt the panic. Thoughts yield reactions.. you may see a pattern!

good luck!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 am

Can I ask how much you are doing each day and are you watching your heart rate as you exercise? Also, do you ever get this feeling when you are not exercising? :roll:

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 am

yes, i do about forty minutes of cardio and then some strength training. my heartrate gets up to like 150-170 while running but then goes back down when walking. and yes i get the feelings when not exercising too....

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”