green tea instead of coffee?

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
little italy

Post by little italy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:21 am

Hi again everyone! I have a question.

I know that drinking coffee in the morning isn't
good because of the caffeine. I have been doing this for many years, it never seemed to affect my anxiety even though I would have between 2 to 4 cups every morning. But I decided to give up my coffee and switched to hot green tea. I know that the tea has some caffeine in it also but is it better then coffee?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:43 am

Hello again!

Yes, green tea (cold or hot) is better for you than coffee. Although you can switch to decaf coffee like I did for the past few months, I have given up coffee for Lent and have been drinking hot green tea in the morning.

Green tea helps to boost your metabolism, has several antioxidants in it, and contains all sorts of herbs. Not all green tea contains caffiene. I searched for caffiene free green tea and succesfully found it. However, regardless of the caffiene, green tea is much better for you than coffee.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 am

Green tea is very good for you, but white tea is even better.

RMSProwler

Post by RMSProwler » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 am

Thank you goob for your reply!

I tryed the decaf coffee and didn't like the taste. It takes alittle getting used to the hot green tea(i've always had it cold) instead of the coffee. But i have to say since I made the change I don't have the belly aches in mid morning like I did with the coffee.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:02 am

Hi not! Thanks for your reply!

White tea? I don't think I've herd of it. Where would I find it? I have always thought green tea was the best.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi little italy cool screen name by the way, I wish I had named myself Switzerland (neutral) lol. Yes white tea is better for you by far although green tea is still great and better than black. Here is an article to get you going and Lipton sells a fantastic white tea at the grocery stores with raspberry. It's not diet and does not contain much sugar but tastes great and is addictive :eek: (Oh, in a good way though).

White Tea is Healthier Than Green?
Studies have shown that green tea stimulates the immune system to fight disease, but white tea is even better for you? Apparently so.

A study presented last year at the American Society for Microbiology general meeting in New Orleans showed that White Tea Extract can actually destroy in vitro the organisms that cause disease. Some studies have also shown that white tea contains more active cancer-fighting antioxidants than green tea.

I gather this isn't new news. I searched a little further and found a study done Oregon State Univ back in May 2000 that showed that white tea has enhanced cancer-fighting potential, more beneficial to certain kinds of cancer, like prostrate cancer for instance, than green tea.

But I was kind of surprised. I've never heard of white tea. According to about.com:

"Just like those other teas, white tea come's from the Camellia sinensis plant. But the leaves are picked and harvested before the leaves open fully, when the buds are still covered by fine white hair. Hence the name."

White tea has undergone very little processing and no fermentation, compared to green, black and oolong teas. The OSU folks say that's the key.

"Many of the more potent tea polyphenols ('catechins') become oxidized or destroyed as green tea is further processed into oolong and black teas," says Roderick H. Dashwood, Ph.D., a biochemist in the university’s Linus Pauling Institute and principal investigator of the study. "Our theory is that white tea has higher levels of these polyphenols than green tea because of minimal processing, and thus is more beneficial."
White tea is also picked and not processed and crushed like black and green tea so it keeps it's cancer fighting properties intact.

Sounds great right? Also there is considerably less caffeine in white tea than the other varieties (15mg per serving, compared to 40mg for black tea, and 20mg for green, according to about.com). White tea is springing up everywhere and until just a few years ago was rare and kept a scret in China but no more, now we can benefit from it as well.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info not!

where can I buy white tea, is it in local stores?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

I have also heard that black tea is very good to drink at night because it boosts seratonin levels. What also helps to boost seratonin is to eat 2 slices of wheat bread with a little bit of jam on it before you go to bed. I've been doing this routine for about 2 weeks and really do notice a change in my mood when I wake up in the morning :)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Hey Goob,
What kind of jam? And is the bread 100% whole wheat? I'm cutting back on sugar and try not to eat much bread, but I'm always willing to try new things.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:57 pm

It is called Lipton White Tea with Raspberry and it is sold in a twelve pack bottle at the larger chain grocery stores. If you cannot find it in the bottles they do sell it in the tea bags also sold by Lipton.
Here are some stores that have just started carrying it in your area. Just make sure you call them first because several stores are just getting the product in.
Store Address Phone
PAK N SAVE 1291 SANGUINETTI RD SONORA CA 95370 (209) 533-7810
SAVE MART 1045 MONO WAY SONORA CA 95370 (209) 536-1108
SAVE MART 130 W STOCKTON ST SONORA CA 95370 (209) 532-3478

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”