Signing your name...anyone have this problem?????

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Snickers

Post by Snickers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:43 am

I know this sounds really really weird but a have this BIG FEAR of signing my name when it comes to shopping and writing a check or charging something and signing....also when you have to renew your drivers license......But the Biggest is tomorrow when I go to a notary public and sign for a trust from my parents...HELP...I have been upset about it when I found out 4 days ago..so you know I have been anticipating this and not eating or sleeping...my hands are clammy and I keep telling myself what is the worse thing I can do...goof up....so I'm taking Lucinda's advice to not run from it and what is the worst that will happen???Easier said then done.....I will be fine I keep telling myself!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:50 am

Are you nervous about signing and having people just standing there waiting and watching? Perhaps strike up a conversation and then they will be talking about that and not even paying attention to you while you are signing? Good luck and just think it will be over in a min. (even though it might feel longer) Take deep breaths, you can do it! You will feel so much better about yourself when you walk into that room and just sign your name! Good luck again, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 am

Wow, I thought I was just going crazy, as I have experienced the same thing. As well, when I introduce myself, I have a similar problem saying my last name clearly and confidently.

But, I have found that if I let myself take the action under "auto pilot", then it's not bad. Kind of give control to my subconscious, so to speak.
Tflann

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38 am

Hello,
I just recently purchased the program. I should have done this ten years ago, but thought "oh I'll be ok". I was so glad to see this fear mentioned. I developed it about 1 & 1/2 years ago. I didn't want to tell anyone about it because I thought I was so weird. Just knowing that this is a symptom takes a lot of the presure off. Thanks for sharing!!!

ronda stephens

Post by ronda stephens » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks a Million for responding to my problem on signing...I always thought I was so weird...Thank God for this message board and talking....I feel like I can do it tomorrow....I've only been in the program a few days but I think this is the Best thing that has ever happened to me...Thanks everybody...Snickers

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

sablan

Post by sablan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:38 pm

SNICKERS,
I suffered from "scriptophobia" for years. I print so well and if someone watches me, I almost lose the strength in my hand. For years I thought I had Parkinson's and it is just a documented phobia!

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:19 am

Steve, I know this is an older post but if you see this can you tell me if you ever beat this phobia and how you did it?

peggysue

Post by peggysue » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:32 am

I know exactly what you mean. I have what they call essential tremor. It means that my hands shake. (unfortunately not just my hands now) The problem is that when you get any adrenaline it makes it so much worse. I grew up with an incredible phobia of signing my name in front of people. Don't even mention writing on the chalk board. I've learned that if you use a "fat" pen it is easier to keep still. Also, somehow I got used to it but in situation like signing before a notary I still get anxious. Maybe you could come up with a really cool "signature" that is very short and fast.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for the advice Susie. I have only developed this problem within the last year or so. Its when the anxiety kicked in high gear when my hormones became unbalanced. Now I have fears I never had before. I couldn't image living like this since childhood. Not only do my hands shake but so does my head. But I have learned to just use my first initial with the last name to keep it short. It's strange because sometimes I am ok with it and other times I shake. Just when I think I am beating this thing it comes back at me.

fightback76

Post by fightback76 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:14 am

hi there, i know how you feel. i suffered from this same issue but the older i get the less i care! the thing is we all do it and no matter how slow or awkward you are there are a handful of other people in that same boat at any given time. the way i see it when i start to feel this way is who really cares - BESIDES me. its just me who is freaked and upset. the people who are watching me probably aren't thinking too much just patiently waiting. :)

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”