November 11 2008 - Veterans Day

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
David**

Post by David** » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:14 am

Picture Removed
Last edited by Admin_1 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure."

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:23 am

Happy Veteran's Day to all of those who have served. <3

AD1973

Post by AD1973 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

Let's don't forget!
My father was USAF, eight years, Korea.
My cousins were Navy and Marines, Vietnam.
My ex was USAF, Vietnam.
I am proud to be from a military family.
Today is a very proud day!

PS: Forgot to mention, my uncles were Navy, and I have some second cousins who are active military today.
Last edited by pecos on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

happy veteran's day!

Is it just me or is that picture very depressing. :?

Maybe you should've posted a picture of live soldiers holding the American flag. LOL. Maybe it's just me. :)

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 am

Deedee, I posted what's real about a war, the memories are still with me everyday of my life and the friends that were left behind, one in particular has never come home, so this had to be shown instead of happy people waving flags.

The combat missions were something I pray you'll never see in your lifetime because they are as real as sitting here typing on a computer. At least a few of the MIA/POW's I'm sure are still over there somewhere but the Vietnam government will never say where because if they do their aid from the USA will be cut off or at least it better be.

Many thousands died in Vietnam, 1000's were injured, and many didn't have the opportunity to come home, instead they laid their life on the line so every person in the US could remain free. Free to do what they want, when they want to do it, and how. There lives were a huge price to pay but they did it willing.

Every year, we celebrate Veterans Day by laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which stands to the front of the field of stones that lay in back of it and every stone has a name and that name stands for Freedom.

There is a naval poem that is appropriate for today...I just hope people here in the USA understand what the meaning of 'give your life for your country' actually means.

Stand the Watch

The Watch
For twenty years,
This sailor has stood the watch
While some of us were in our bunks at night,
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade,
This shipmate stood the watch

Yes...even before some of us were born into this world,

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen
brewing on the horizon of history,

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there,
Needing his guidance and help,
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times,
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years,
He stood the watch so that we, our families,
And our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety,
Each and every night,
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say:
"Shipmate...the watch stands relieved.
Relieved by those YOU have trained, guided, and lead
Shipmate you stand relieved...we have the watch!"

"Boatswain...Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore!"

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:42 am

My father, GOd rest his soul, was Vietnam Vet...died after many years of suffering in 1980 due to chemical exposure. I have many other relatives that were in WWI, WW2, Korea and Vietnam. I have cousins actively serving. May God be with them and all of us.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi David. I have a whole lot of family in the military and veterans too. I am not making light of the price that the military pay protecting our country. If that's the way it sounded please forgive me. They are truly heroes and deserve acknowledgement for their duties. It was just the picture of the graves that made me feel uneasy at the time. That's all.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:36 am

Hey Deedee, no way was I offended and I never took it out of context in any way so don't ever think that. I had the admin pull the picture last night and will let this thread fall to the bottom of the heap now. ;)

David

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”