medications and why they aren't working

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
Panic Attack Lance

Post by Panic Attack Lance » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:30 pm

Hey all. I started on paxil, then lexapro and now zoloft. None of these are working. I've been reading from panic to power, my question is, where do I go from here. I had a great weekend even though I had a 48 hour attack. Tried to drink it away one night but it was waiting for me when I awoke. All that I have done so far is see my Dr. and read from panic to power. I don't know what to do. I had to leave places because I thought I would lose control or choke, I'm really reaching out tonight. Should I speak to a therapist, I really don't know what's wrong. Hope you all had a great weekend

Craw

Post by Craw » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Lance: Do you have the Attacking Anxiety & Depression program itself? From Panic to Power is a great book, but it is not the program. The program will give you the tools to beat this, slowly, step by step. The people here are a great source of support...but don't delay getting the program. How long were you on each of those medications? It took me almost 6 weeks on Paxil before I felt better, and changing medications too quickly can make anxiety worse. I got the most out of the program and Paxil; my therapists haven't helped as much. Don't try to drink it away...drinking and caffeine will only make it worse. If you use caffeine, start cutting back right away.
formerly SleeplessMom
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Lance-
I know these panic attacks are overwhelming but I don't think, at least I haven't discovered a quick fix. If you don't have Lucinda's program you should get it. I am on week three and already see a big difference. Medication didn't work for me it only made my symptoms worse. But changing my thought patterns and talking to others here at the stress center has made a huge difference for me and I am sure it can for you too. Good luck! Be well.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Hello Lance:

I agree with the posts above. You would so benefit from the program and if it is the money you are concerned with...you can always let them know that at the Stress Center. They can work with you financially....please don't let that hold you back. It is a great program and once you start it...you'll see great results. Good luck!!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Thank you so much sleeplessmom and justplainedscared. To sleeplessmom: I know drinking doesn't help, kinda like the xanax doesn't. Thank you so much for responding, that means alot to me because I don't know anyone else suffering from this. To justplainscared: I don't think my meds are helping me, I hate them. I will look into the program.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey Sid,

Money is not an issue here. My mental health is pricless! I welcome anyone here that has the same thing or if I can help anyone out there

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Thank you Sid

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Lance,

I have been on Cymbalta, Lexapro, Paxil, Xanax, Klonipin, lithium, seroquel, and wellbutrin. Unfortunately many of these medications have the side affect of making you more anxious at first. I have had anxiety and depression so bad that I thought I was going crazy and checked my self into an inpatient treatment facility. The good news is that no matter how bad it seems, you can do this. :) I have found that exercise helps a lot with anxiety and feel good endorphins. I try and do 1 hour six days a week at least. Just hang in there and if you feel that medication is the answer for you, just keep working with your doctor until you find something that works. I am on week 2 of the program, and even though it feels hard sometimes and I still have panic attacks it helps to know that whatever is going on with my body others have experienced and it's nothing that's going to hurt or kill me. Hang in there, the fact that you're here, speaks a lot of how committed you are to helping yourself. The program is great thou, I highly recommend it.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Lance,
I hear the anxiety so strong in your posts. I sympathize with you that you are lost right now....I have been there before. The good news is, you CAN recover. I have dealt with anxiety my whole life. Have tried MANY meds and have seen half of the doctors in western, PA...lol. It wasn't until my ex-doctor dropped me from my Klonopin last year and I went thru horrible withdrawals, that I finally "stumbled" across the doctor I have now who has been heaven sent!!! Nobody ever taught me anything about anxiety, they only pushed drugs in my face. This last past year with this new doctor has taught me Cognitive Behavior Therapy, breathing exercises, distraction and etc. I attend a group meeting once a week now for recovery. I can say I am not completely recovered, but it is under control for the first time in my 37 years. Exercise, meditation, yoga, nutrition, educating and counseling work great for anxiety. It is a hard disorder to deal with, but with the proper doctor, meds if needed, and other tools like exercise, you can have it under control. Feel free to write and know for starters....You are NOT alone. :D

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:26 pm

I am there with you. I have always resisted taking medication but finally decided to. I am trying to be patient and let them work but continue to have new and different feelings which seem to cause more anxiety. The waking up at night and not getting sleep is the worse. It is really good to have this program and know others out there are having the same feelings.

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”