Claire Weekes ( Inspiration )

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
artistguy

Post by artistguy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 am

The psychiatrist and acrophobe Dr Robert DuPont met Dr Claire Weekes at a meeting of the Phobia Society Of America in 1983 and he asked her if she ever suffered from a panic disorder. She said " Yes I have had what you call panic attacks. In fact I still have them. Sometimes they wakemeat night." He told her that he was sorry to hear about that and she lookedat him in shock and said "Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a apnic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out ofplace in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"
Dr DuPont was amazed by that response. This remarkable woman had shown him the ultimate in cognitive restructuring of panic attacks. She gave no power to those panic attacks whatsoever, simply letting them pass and getting on with her life.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 am

Hi. I have all of Dr. Claire Weekes books. She began writing her books in 1962 and they all have relevance today. What an amazing writer. Her books even helped me get out of the house when I was housebound many years ago. I highly recommend them and they are still available at places like amazon. She passed away in 1990 at the age of 87. What a wonderful writer. By the way, she also has tapes as well, but I don't know if they are readily available.

Rob.

Bryan De

Post by Bryan De » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:03 am

I also own her books and am amazed at the absolute depth of her writings. She understood at a gut level this process with anxiety & panic. After reading your post I now understand why- she also had them. But the difference is that she didn't suffer them because they were of no importance to her whatsoever. I know I have benefited greatly from her example. Thanks for sharing this!

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”