You can Overcome this!!

Share your successes with others
Ld26angell

Post by Ld26angell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:39 am

Hi guys,
My name is Lisa and I am very familiar with the the program program. I bought the program back in 2006, I belive. I am going to try to explain how this program can change your life, as it did mine.
I was always a very outgoing person. However, I had these "moments" where I would feel so scared. Like I was going to throw up, or something bad was going to happen to me, my family, my dog, etc. I never quite knew what it was but it passed and I moved on.
I do not want to bore you with my background but I want to say that yes, at one point I saw a therpaist and tried medication.
It helped, for the time being and I stopped seeing her because I felt "better."
Well I can now say that yes I feel "better" but when I said it back then , it meant - Yes I feel good, but I hope those feelings dont come back because they are scary!!
Now- I know that if those feeling come back, I know what they are, where they come from, and how to handle them.

I am a completley different person now. Lucinda and this program has literally changed my life.
I did the program about three times. It wasn't until the third time, that I really "got" it. It's a feeling like, hey I can handle all of this. Life has its struggles, difficulties, sadness, etc. but it also is filled with those precious present moments.
I learned to cherish those moments instead of filling them with useless panicky thoughts.
I would also like to say that I felt I was the BIGGEST obsessive thinker. I had scary thoughts all the time. Now I never labeled myself as "OCD" or anything like that. I would tell my doctor the thoguhts that would scare me, thoughts about hurting people or myself even. She knew I would never and told me that there is a big difference in people who are scared of those thoughts and people who find comfort in those thoughts. Now I never ever FOUND comfort in those thoughts but I did get distraction!!!
That was my biggest lesson. I found that instead of dealing with whatever it was that I felt uncomfortable doing, and sometimes it was just sitting and enjoying alone time, I would fill it with worrisome thoughts.

I no longer do this. I enjoy the precious moments. If a wierd thought pops in my head, because yes they do, EVERYONE gets wierd thoughts, it doesn't scare my anymore!!
I never thought I could get to that spot.

I can now say that I am recovered. I am living with my boyfriend and doggie. I go to school full time at a very well known university, I work full time, and I take the time to enjoy family and friends as much as I can. I enjoy life so much more now!
I have even gone through things I never thought I could handle, losing a very close family member, my grandpa. That was so devastating but I go through it and came out stronger for it.
The other thing I learned is this. (My boyfriend travels alot for work, so I am home alone alot of the time) This scared me. How can I move out of my parents and into his house and then deal with being ALONE?
Well I transisitoned and smoothly as anyone could. I love it! I spend the time getting things done and enjoying that time alone. Yes, I may get lonely sometimes but who wouldn't. Anyways, what I noticed is this: Sometimes if I was having a bad day, I would complain to my BF or mom. I would come home and be in a bad mood and take it out on them. Now, if no one is here, who do I complain to? Yes, I can be ina bad mood, but I would only be hurting myself. WHy would anyone want to listen to what went wrong in my day. It would make me feel bad and I would hate it. THis was a huge turning point for me. No one wants to hear it and neither do I. I have a much easier time now dealing with bad moods and letting htem pass without dwelling on them.

All I can say is, keep sticking with the program. It works. Don't give up. Belive in yourself. ANd kepp pluggin along!!!

Best to you all!!
Lisa

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:10 am

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the great post. It's great to hear that I am not the only one who didn't "get it" the first time. :) I first started the program back in July 2007 and repeated it again last summer. Even after the second time through, I had another "growth spurt" until I can finally say that I'm recovered. I think my biggest road block was the positive self talk. When you finally get to the point, like you have, where the scary thoughts and body symptoms don't bother you any longer, you know that you've conquered the art of positive self-talk. It's like something just clicks inside and the fear is no longer there.

I wish you continued success. Thanks for helping others with your post.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am

thank you so much lisa! i can safely say that your post have been part of my recovery!! so for that i say a BIG thank you!!! i felt like i connected with you because i have a ill grandparent who is dying of old age. and i dont know how i will cope, i have thought like i will get bipolar or something because the emotions will be too much for be to handle!! did you ever get those thoughts?? feel like i'll go crazy!! anyways, i try to stay positive~ thanks again LIsa!!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:22 am

how do i get started on this. i feel lost and want to give up on the program. nobody tell you how to use this support system. all i see are different forums.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 pm

hello lisa and thank you for the inspiring post. I remeber reading some of your posts along the way. I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well.
I am in the program for the second time and I am happy to say that some things are beginning to click which I did not get the first time. I know I will repeat it again.

Ody I understand how overwhelming it feels at first. In the beginning i would come on here and was so unsure as what to do or how to post.
I'd suggest maybe just coming on here and looking at the different forums and posts.

I have only gone into the chat room once and to be honest I came right out. I felt so overwhelmed when people began speaking to me right away. I am unfamiliar with chat rooms so U am hoping it will get easier.

I'd suggested open the program and spending a few minutes every day just looking through the session one. When you begin to get comfortable spend a few extra minutes on it. Try and follow the program and don't skip ahead because there is so much information , it can be overwhelming.
Wishing you much sucess in your recovery.
Take care and God bless.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:16 am

This is actually my second time going through the program. The last time I went through it was in 1993, I believe. For the past several years I didn't realize I was having anxiety. This was different from the full blown panic, and came in more subtle. I now realize how negative my thoughts were and how I would catastrophise about every thought and let my mind go wild. Also, I'm sure the caffeine and sugar haven't helped much either. But for the first time ever I'm realizing it all starts with me and my thoughts.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Thanks guys!
I am so happy to have helped some people throughout this amazing journey.
I say amazing because it truly is. The stuff I learned about myself, and my reactions was fascinating. And then knowing I have the power to change it, was even more so.

CalmChange,
I remember feeling that way. The best advice I could give you is to just go with the flow. Enjoy every moment you have with them. Cherish it. When my Grandpa was in the hospital, we had some SPECIAL moments. Yeah we were in a hospital and knew his prognosis wasn't looking good at all, and he knew it to, but we still had ALL of my immediate family members there and we all gathered round his bed and talked and cried and laughed and were serious. It was very very special and I am sure not many people can say that when they are losing a close family member. It will get easier, trust me. There is still not a day that goes by that I do not think of him though. Like right now, as I sit here and type on my laptop, his tiny urn that my Grandma and Mom picked out for me ( a minature version of my Mom's) is looking right at me, I know he is here with me. He always is. Sometimes more than others but he is always close by. I can just feel him.
The memories will always be there and those are the times that you should cherish the most. Even if it is just enjoying a cup of coffee. I never thought that some of the most special moments with him would be around his hospital bed but some of them were. Granted we had MANY to choose from and for that I am SO lucky.

Ody.
The best advice I can give is to take it one baby step at a time. Think- Bob in "What about Bob?" the movie.
It will all come in due time. Look at me, I did the program three times!
Take notes while your listening to the tapes :active listening" and reflect on them the days you aren't listening. Begin to journal (major). Use the relaxation tape. LOVE IT!
My BF uses it if he has an anxious moment and he is the most cool, calm, collected human being ever!!!
=)
DO NOT jump ahead. Like BNA said, there is a lot of info so don't overload your brain. One lesson at a time like it is designed and you will be fine!!! Trust me!!

Take care guys and best of luck to you all!!

Lisa =)

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 pm

My problem is that I used to be OK. Granted, ween I was younger I hated driving over bridges or wating in lines. Now I am 37 years old and the feeling have come back. They scare the hell out of me sometimes. I want the old me back and Lucinda says this is what got me here. I used to travel and virtually no problems but no, juist thinking about causes aceity.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 am

Ube,
There has to be something else going on in your life that is triggering this and thus coming out in irrational fears. Can you pinppoint any of that?

Figuring out what is really behind the problems is what is key.
I hope you can find out what it is that is bothering you. Maybe it is omething totally subconsious...

fischee

Post by fischee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! You are an inspiration to me.

I am going to be moving with my fiancee soon away from my family and we both will be going to separate schools. Eventually his career will take him away from home for months on end. Right now that thought seems scary but I am working on being okay being alone, building up for the day when I'm going to have to be alone without him. Reading about your experience gives me hope. Thanks! :)