Went to the movies!

Share your successes with others
Arwen

Post by Arwen » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Going to the movie theatre has not been something I have enjoyed for a loooong time... Too loud and noisy, too much sensory input in a dark and confined space. It's been one of the things I have avoided because it was almost certain to trigger anxiety.

Since I am now feeling better about my anxiety, I wanted to challenge myself a little - so I suggested to my family that we go see the new Star Trek movie. Hubby is a Star Trek fan and has the complete old series, and he was pretty tired, so it took a little persuading to get him to go... but he was fine once we got out the door. I was tired, too, but figured it might work to my advantage - I felt too tired to bother getting anxious!

I was happy to see that there were very few people there, and we got great seats right on the wide passageway in the middle. They got lovely chairs where you can tip back and relax. The movie is very loud and visually powerful right from the start, and the sound systems they have in theatres now are so strong! I could feel that I got a little tense with all the rumbling and screaming, but told myself that it was excitement, not anxiety, and to enjoy it as if it was a virtual rollercoaster ride (which I don't go on, of course!).

A couple of times towards the end I got tired and closed my eyes - just so much happening on the screen - but I never got too edgy or felt the need to leave. I made myself comfortable by kicking one shoe off and put my foot up underneath the other leg and held hubby's hand for part of the movie.

To me, the triumph of going where this woman hasn't gone before in a long, long time, overshadowed the actual movie... I really don't care if Spock was believable or if Kirk was too rebellious. :)

I used to love going to the movies, so hopefully this will be a treat I can enjoy more often again!

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Great job Arwen! Love the "going where this woman hasn't gone before" he he he!

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:28 pm

wow wonderful! Great ways of coping and getting through the difficult moments. And I think you are courageous to suggest a known trigger and you managed to get ALL the way through your movie. And even enjoyed the family time I would think. Again way to go!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Arwen that is such encouraging news! I too use to love going to the movies but don't find myself getting out much any nmore. It is a challenge to go into a Walgreens or the grocery store for that matter. You give me hope!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:15 am

Arwen...Many congratulation to you!!! You are a very strong person, and I am sooo happy for you!!!

I pray you have a great day...God Bless...