Past is Nearing it's End and the Future starts now!

Share your successes with others

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

DMP720

Your right it can be quite the challenge. I decided to take time off working to focus completely on this...it's been about 4 months now. It's funny too because i was working more on the cognitive stuff and ignored the relaxation stuff. The program and many other people say that relaxation was the most important and now i realize that or i realize how important it is again.

Mike

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey Mike....doesn't it feel like a burden's been lifted or a whole lot of weight's slowly coming off of you and you're starting to feel lighter?.....

I'm so happy for you and your self-awareness...I can see how much you love to help others just by reading your posts...Keep it up while we all continue to root for you!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 am

It has and it hasn't. I actually feel like i'm somewhat slipping back. Seems that this happens if i miss out on the relaxation which i've convinced myself is the most important again...lets see how this goes.

M

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Mike,
Thanks for your post! I am happy to see successful people here who have overcome depression & anxiety. I have the book "Feeling Good" and I need to read it again.

thanks for your inspirational post.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Your welcome. I'm not completely over it, my biggest hurtle now is to use the relaxation and sleeping when my body wants it. I realize without this i might as well throw the CBT in the garbadge. It would still help but on it's own it won't be enough to overcome this.

What i've been doing with the Feeling good book (and you could definately consider this), I'm using it to make a cognitive behavioral refrence guide. In this are the cognitive distortions, brief summaries and Techniques. I've found that writing down the techniques and having them listed where i can find them when i need them is the best thing that works for me. I would only forget the techs otherwise.

Neways, I have everything i need now and the knowledge of how to break habits. So i'm getting there.

Mike

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:31 pm

You are doing awesome with your posts and by communicating with all of us in this program. You're life story touched my heart in many ways and I am so so happy that you are heading in the right direction.

In one of your posts above you mentioned that you were working on/using techniques to help better yourself, do you mind sharing what those techniques are?

I have been struggling with session 6 for awhile now and part of me feels like I should start the program over. I am not working this summer so, like you, I can deliberatly focus on me and how I can better myself. Any recommendations?

Hugs,
Goober

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:14 am

Congratulation Ninja-Frodo
You have done a wonderful job of trying to uderstand yourself and others. It seems that you have come very far in your healing. I find your story inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

Gerri L

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 am

Awe, that's really nice of you to say this :)

I have many techniques I use and it would be difficult to explain them all in detail, at least in one post but i'll give you a kind of list.

I have a few variations of the thought replacement technique, a technique to help you recognize when you are thinking negative, techiques to overcome the labels you may have for yourself, procrastination techniques, techniques to handle criticism, insults and complaining, I have some that you can use to eliminate anger or to work through it, Should removal and elimination techniques, techniques to overcome guilt,techniques to figure out underlying self-defeating beliefs, techniques to overcome the need to get approval from others, rejection, self-esteem and i'm still learning some others. These techniques come from a book called Feeling Good by David, D Burns which is a really good book but it doesn't mention about using tension/relaxation type things which are very very important.

As for lesson 6, I have gotten stuck on that pretty much everytime i went through the program. So like 6-8 times. This is very common as are anger does bother us and it can make us feel bad. That lesson makes you look at that anger and I believe what makes us feel like we are backtracking is that we are focusing on this anger and there maybe some feeling of shame or guilt for that and this could lead to us labeling ourselves as bad, or rotten. It's the labeling that really does this. My suggestion is to keep going and don't worry about solving this right now, there is no obligation to do so and it will make sense later on. The relaxation techniques are the most important however, more important than all the written stuff. Relaxing reduces the time or intensity of anxiety and this can help you to absorb more of what you are writing or reading and applying it more effectively!

I'm planning to put up my results of the relaxation from every time i used relaxation cd or other forms of meditiation and chanting, maybe this may help you as well.

Mike

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Mike,

Thanks for writing about yourself. I am having trouble with week 6 and am considering what you advised about working with Feeling Good. I bought it a long time ago but never followed through after reading it. I guess the time is right.

If you can do it, so can I. Some days are harder than others, but I really want to get better. Thanks for your encouragement.

Leslie