Success at the dentist - what I did

Share your successes with others
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Just a report today about the DDS. I was anticipating it all day, but I wasn't a wreck, just thinking about it with some butterflies.

I did not eat much before my 1:00 appointment, just had a small amount of water and maybe a handful of grapes, mainly because when I get anxious I always have to go the bathroom.

I took a long walk with the dog in the morning, afterward I listened to the "Feel Better Fast!" CD which was really helpful.

I walked over to the for my appointment. The reason I walked over there was mostly to displace any nervous energy. I started doing that with dental appointments. When the weather's not nice I'd jump on my rebounder!

I really like my new dentist.

We are the same age and have a lot in common. She is really sweet too. And best of all she's a natural dentist, she's very into the whole allergy/reaction thing, she doesn't use mercury (silver amalgam fillings) and she was very thorough in her exam.

She found some stuff that I'm not too happy about, but I trust her and next week she will consult with me and DH so he can hear everything. You know how that is, having to relay information second hand to the spouse, it doesn't always come across the same way.

The best thing about the appointment, is aside from some very mild initial nervousness/butterflies I was just fine - I did not have to use the facilities even once! I'm so happy about that!
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 pm

That is great!! :) Sounds like you have found a fantastic dentist, and they are hard to find. I'm sorry that she found some problems, but hopefully she can take care of it in a gentle and reassuring manner. Sounds like you really have developed the ability to relax yourself and prevent anxiety from taking control.

I'm seeing the dentist on the 26th, and that is partly why I started this course. I'm opting for conscious sedation, a pill that makes me relax/drowse and have little memory of what happened. On top of my existing memory problems I may not remember having been there at all! :D

I went to a hypnotherapist (PhD psychologist) to prepare for the dental work (2 broken teeth, a wisdom tooth extraction and a couple of fillings are on the list), but she couldn't continue to see me for other reasons. That's when I bought this program, and it feels like the right way to go for me. I hope I will feel as good as you do about my appointment!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi Arwen, all the best to you! I do recommend some kind of movement before the appointment and maybe the weeks leading up to it, it really helps displace all that nervous energy. Whatever you can do - walking, running, anything aerobic!

Hey I have jury duty on the date of your dental appointment. Maybe we can encourage one another on our "nerves" ... at least you get to be put out for yours - they may not like me coming in doped up on a quaalude! Ha!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Oh, I'd trade you any day! I don't get called for jury duty because I'm not a citizen and they use the voting registers, but I would have loved to be a lawyer and enjoy watching court proceedings! I hope you get an interesting case!

I do a yoga/ballet/workout routine with a DVD at home as often as I can. I'll definitely be doing it the day before. Have to be there early in the morning on the 26th, and am supposed to take two relaxing pills the night before, so I doubt I'll be doing anything but some hesitant staggering that morning... :)

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:39 pm

I wish we could trade! Hopefully the case will be interesting enough that I won't feel like I want to run of the courtroom screaming with hands in the air...rofl!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Shifrah...Congratulations on your dentistry appointment going sooo well, and you facing your fears!!! I am sooo proud of you...Love ya...

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Thank you Ms. T!