Making Progress is Still Fun!

Share your successes with others
ellenfisher

Making Progress is Still Fun!

Post by ellenfisher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 pm

I decided to challenge myself again tonight on a walk with my husband. I was bit pretty badly as a young child by a dog on my forehead requiring 28 stiches inside and out. I have always avoided homes with dogs, even little ones and fenced ones, by walking on the other side of the street or not walking on those streets at all. Tonight, I walked on the streets and right next to the fences. As we approached the properties with dogs, I would envision the dogs coming out to bark and tell myself I will be just fine, I will breathe and walk calmly, we have always been fine in our neighborhood-we are kind of in the country/hills. Well, the first fenced property where two pretty aggressive dogs normally stampede and bark like crazy was empty tonight. I congratulated myself on walking up to it and passed it with my husband. The next one had a big dog with a deep bark. It was on the other side of the street, but even with that I would normally feel frightened. Tonight, I walked calmly by talking to myself about how it was fenced and we were fine and I even noticed what beautiful colors it had on its short fur. It was a pretty reddish with big white patches and was looking back at its companion, an australian shepard like it was saying, "Hey, get over here why am I doing all the barking." It was such a funny thought to have and my husband and I both laughed when I shared it with him. The next yard that is normally a forbidden yard to me had only one dog tonight and it was busy with its owner. The final challenge came with a large property with two dogs and a very old fence with some holes in it. I walked calmly and then one of the big dogs came toward us. I decided to go on the other side of my husband, I had been walking closest to the fence. I almost walked in front of a car as I stepped around my husband and had to step back. The dog decided to run back to his owner and the other dog who were both across the field at the small barn where they keep a little flock of homing pigeons. It all worked out and I fortunately didn't get hit by the car. I was tempted to beat myself up, but stopped immediately and praised myself for the effort, my good accomplishments at the first three places and for what presence of mind I possessed not to step in front of the car--by God's good grace. I felt good about my progress and decided I wouldn't waste any of my lovely evening because I wasn't "perfect". We enjoyed the rest of the walk and each others company. It was a really nice walk all the way around and I am so glad I let myself enjoy it!!!!