Practicing assertiveness!!

Share your successes with others
missobsessive

Practicing assertiveness!!

Post by missobsessive » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Just wanted to share myself practicing some little assertiveness skills.

I noticed at work how when any little mistake happens i over react internally, catastrophizing the consequences of the mistake, beating myself up and blaming myself for it. I process orders for a company and a customer needed order status. I realized I had never entered the order. There was a miscommunication and I didn't realize the order was ready to be entered when it was so I never entered it. Instead of over reacting, over apologizing, and over explaining why I didn't enter it, I simply said to my coworker "I haven't entered it yet. There was a miscommunication, I'll enter it now and will place a rush on it." I didn't even apologize. Even though in my gut I felt like I needed to. But I'm practicing not doing that as much anymore bc I'm human and make mistakes and respect myself by accepting that!!

Yay meeee :)

Iwillbebetter

Re: Practicing assertiveness!!

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

I love it. I would have never even thought of that as "assteriveness" until reading this post. But ohhh am I good at the over appologizing and explaining!! And good for you. I work customer service, so I can totally relate to those misunderstandings.... and then internalizing it negativly!! I do it all to often in my personal life as well. I'm glad to have that in mind!

Thanks for the post!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Iwillbebetter,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's funny how when you are going through this program, the more you realize about yourself. I remember when I very first got the program, I was SO RELIEVED to know that I wasn't going crazy, etc. But first listening to all of the lessons, I remember I kept thinking..."I don't do that," "I don't think like that," "what does being assertive even have to do with anything??, I'm assertive"

BAHAHA!!

Was I proven wrong after reallllly looking into myself and my behaviors. I can now relate to EVERY lesson.

So I've been on the lookout for little practice opportunities like that mistake I made at work to practive the skills. I'm even practicing not being a perfectionist right now by not fixing how I just typed "practive" instead of "practice" lol.

It's the little things, haha.

Hope you're feeling well!! One day soon we'll be able to be like the people on the infomercial or in the group sessions, totally recovered!!

~~HaPpY EaStEr~~

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:40 am

Ms. Obsessive,

Oh yes I remember listening to the first disc and thinking... WoW I'm really not crazy. The relief I felt was beyond me. So much of my life made so much more sense to me. At least it gave me reason. Not just that how I was. I think it is in our nature to fight it at first, or try to deny it... that's not me.. I don't think that.. I remember doing that a few times. Didn't think I ever had a panick attack... Didn't think I was negative thinking...
But yes the more we open our minds, the more we can see that maybe we are more like that than we thought/or wanted to admit!!

Way to go looking for little chances to practice your skills :) The more we practice the more they stick I beleive :)

it is deffinatly the little things, who would have known such little things could mean so much!! :)

Yes totally recovered is possible, and even with in reach!! :) WE will get there!!

Happy easter to you also :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."