insomnia

Share your successes with others
d1adsl5a

insomnia

Post by d1adsl5a » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 pm

I had insomnia a few years ago. I was crippling. I was on several medications. I was having horrible reactions to the meds I was on inclucing celexa, ativan, remeron and ambien. I finally weened myself off everything once my sleep returned. During this time I was going through a divorce as well. It wasn't until my wife finally decided she was done was when I started to sleep again. Well, she moved out last may. We split time 50/50 with my 3 sons. Still not divorced after 2 years...Well I started dating. Thought I was in love, realized I wasn't. It was the worst experience hurting this woman I t was like going through a second divorce ..Insomnia came back a couple months back. Wife is filing for sole custody to get more money..The insomnia is worse than it was 3 years ago. Have alot of anxiety about it as well. Tried, Zoloft and Lexapro for a few days each. Horrible, Horrible reactions to each one. Can't deal with SSRI's... In weekly therapy. I get why I have insomnia..it is the anxiety. So I am trying this program...I sure hope it works.

NeverQuit

Re: insomnia

Post by NeverQuit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Yikes, that is stressful! I'll be praying for you! I had really bad insomnia in my early teens, I found that the best thing was to just ACCEPT it, it's one thing that if you keep fighting it, it's even worse. I take Valerian Root, an herb, when I can't sleep, they have them in capsule form. Take one and that can just be enough to relax your body. Also, turkey is really good to relax you. Remember how tired we all feel after thanksgiving dinner? :P Another thing that helps is to work out during the day, but not within three hours of going to bed, or else you may mess up your sleep. Stay away from bright lights, such as computer or TV screens, close to going to sleep, as this messes with the melatonin production in the brain, which needs lack of light to produce normally. Don't drink caffiene later in the day, or at all if you can help it. :)
I don't know if you're spiritual, but try praying too, and give some of your thoughts to God, or try reading some peaceful scriptures. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... on=NIV1984 Mentions falling to sleep. :)

Hope this helps you!! I know what it's like! Don't worry, this program is AWESOME, and you WILL see change and good stuff coming your way!!!

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:01 pm

I am catholic. Wish I could just give it to God. I just have to try and get through this. It is affecting every part of my life. I took my ambien as always last night. Sometimes I sleep through the night. Sometimes I wake up and can go back to sleep. Last night, I woke up 3am and couldn't go back to sleep. I am having my anxiety attacks again. I am supposed to call the psychiatrist tomorrow. And he will suggest another drug...I am so tired of trying different drugs. I have bad side effects on most all of them. My anxiety starts to subside when I have a couple good days of sleep. I just can't break the cycle of one good day of sleep, then a bad day. It is so debilitating. It started a couple months back. I know this can't last forever. But I can't take much more of this. If I decide to take another drug--He is now suggesting remeron or trazodone to help me sleep and curb the anxiety. Well the remeron I had a few years ago when this started. It gave me horrible constipation. So that leaves trazodone, which I hear makes you very tired the next day. I am a singe dad and I have to be there for my 3 sons to get them to school, etc...

I got through this 3 years ago. But it is harder now. I am on my own without a wife for support. I am a vp at a fortune 10 company and I am afraid they are going to figure it out soon enough that I haven't been on task for some time now. I am scared. Real scared as to how I am going to make it...I realize drug free is the only way I am going to be able to make it. But on 4 hours of sleep last night, I can just feel the anxiety building in my stomach. I am supposed to be at the office now, but I am working at home which I have been doing a couple days each week for the last two months on the days where I haven't slept the night before. I have tried meditation, I have tried the medication, I am trying the deep breathing excercises...I do work out everyday when I have slept the night before. I just at the end of my rope after two and a half months of this. I have a good support group. I know they are tired of listening to me. I am tired of talking about it. I am tired and frustrated with being tired...I did order the cd's, etc..yesterday. I do hope they make a difference in my life.

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Please: Someone tell me they have beat insomnia and anxiety without medication. I have bad reactions to everything. I feel I have nowhere else to turn....Every other night I only sleep 4 hours. I am so frustrated, let down, debilitated, scared...I do all the things I am supposed to for sleep. Last night, I couldn't have been more relaxed. Feel asleep, woke up at 3am and that was it..I was up the rest of the night. This happens every other night...If I can just piece together a weeks worth of good sleep, I will be OK....

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 pm

What time are you working out?

Also, our adrenaline naturally spikes at 3am, don't ask me why, but I've been told that.

This program will CERTAINLY help you. It has changed my life! I used to struggle with insomnia, now I don't anymore. We are our biochemistry, if you have the option of working with a nutritionist, I strongly recommend that.

And much of our chemistry starts with our thought processes - we are negative thinkers and that makes us anxious! Don't worry, you WILL get through this! Are you interested in any natural remedies? Like the valerian I mentioned earlier, there are some natural, homeopathic remedies that are very good for relaxing your body without the side effects of medication.

Praying for you!

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks Never Quit. I appreciate the prayers. I appreciate the response. I am looking forward to starting the program. Honestly, I have never been one for natural remedies. But at this point, I am open to anything....I am just mad that this happened to me again. My best friend is a pharmacist. He called tonight as started going through all the medications again. I just didn't want to talk any more about it. I wish I could stomach an antidepressant/antianxiety med. My body just wont take it. It has been horrible. Which is why I am trying the program. I understand where my stress is coming from. My divorce, my break up with the girl i thought I would marry. I know this will end someday. I am just down on myself for this happening again.....I just have to break the cycle of not sleeping every other night. I have to do this for me, not anyone else.

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:33 am

That's right, you do have to do this for you, and by doing that you'll be helping your kids, your friends, your future relationships, etc. This is a life-skills program and it's really life-changing.

Some good homeopathic remedies for relaxation are Aconite, Ignatia, Valerian (an herb, that I mentioned earlier). Of course, you want to follow the recommended dosage on the bottle! You can find these at your local health food store, or Vitacost.com is a great resource for vitamins and natural remedies.

If possible, I strongly recommend working with a nutritionist as you're going through this program as well. That has been a huge part of my recovery, knowing what I need to eat to make myself feel better, what vitamins I need, etc. Or, if you can find a nutritionally-minded or naturally-minded doctor, that's a huge blessing.