Future Triumph

Share your successes with others
KKross

Future Triumph

Post by KKross » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:02 am

At first I wasn't sure if I should post this here because I haven't
actually done this yet, but I think the fact that I am making the attempt is a triumph in itself.
I am training for a big race/endurance event next month. It is called toughmudder, and I am doing it with six other people.
The training is not easy. It's actually harder than when I trained for a marathon. I am battling my anxiety, hypochondria, and "what if" thinking, but I'm still making the attempt.

It helps to post things on the forum, and I thought putting it out here would encourage me.

Paisleegreen

Re: Future Triumph

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 pm

KKross, that is excellent! I'm so proud of you! This will definitely get you out of your comfort zone! You go, Buddy! :D Paislee :mrgreen:

KKross

Post by KKross » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Paislee,

Thank you for your response and encouragment! :D

I want this endurance event to be a physical, emotional, and spiritual means of growth. One of the things I have to work on is giving myself permission to rest. The training is intense, and I want to get to the point where I can take a rest day and not "should" myself.

I also hope that posting this encourages others. I have anxiety and agoraphobia, yet I'm fighting it to get to the gym and this event. If I can do this, the folks on here might be inspired to face their anxiety/agoraphobia.

HelpingHands

Post by HelpingHands » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

WOW! That is awesome!! How is the training going? I know sometimes it seems we have off days, but you are SO right, just training and trying is a huge triumph! I give you a lot of credit!! :mrgreen:

KKross

Post by KKross » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 am

Thank you, Helping Hands!

Training is going well. I had an intense one on Sunday, and I am happy to say that I didn't have any soreness the next day. The other guys and ladies in my group said they did, so that gave me a confidence booster.

My confidence was shaken a bit when I was talking to two people. One of them(my Mom) said I was takig a big risk doing this and I was going to hurt myself. This twelve mile course includes obstacles, such as wading through a swamp, going hadn over hand on monkey bars over a river, and crawling under barbed wire. It's supposed to be the toughest course on the planet. Talking to my mom bothered me a bit, but I really want to try and do this. :)

I have a training todasy and tomorrow. The event is a week from Sunday.

Thanks for the well wishes. I love hearing from people on this site!

HelpingHands

Post by HelpingHands » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Don't let anyone discourage you! You are definitely take great leaps and bounds. Make sure that you are not giving yourself unrealistic expectations and just enjoy the moment. You are attempting to do something most people wouldn't even consider---that in itself rocks!

The will is much more impressive than how well you do in it. We are all rooting for you!!

KKross

Post by KKross » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 am

Thank you, HelpingHands! It is so good to see your repky first thing in the morning.

Those "what ifs' have been creeeping into my mind. "What if I get hurt?" "What if I have a heart attack?" This is part of the battle and I know this event is making me stronger physically and mentally.

I trained yesterday and I had some anxious feeling, but I faced them down.

Have a great day!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Way to go on your training, KKross. Keep up the good work! paislee :mrgreen:

KKross

Post by KKross » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:57 am

Thank you, Paislee. it's always good to hear from you.

Had a hard training yesterday, but in the end I was able to do a bit more than I thought I could. That's something to remember.

How are you Paislee? I hope you are well.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 am

Hi KKross, I'm doing pretty good considering where I was at a few months ago! I do have a very bad cold and I'm on antibiotics and that is challenging as it sort of makes my body symptoms come back or at least anxious feelings in my gut region. Also, it causes dizziness as well as sleepiness. So it is frustrating to not be able to get things done. It also causes me to be irritable, and slightly depressed.
I have 4 more days of enduring this medication to fight a sinus infection and hopefully, I will be able to have more energy to enjoy the beautiful spring days were are having, in between wind and rain on the off days. :)

I just want to work in my garden and enjoy the sunshine. I always feel better after getting a workout from gardening and watch things grow. Paislee :mrgreen: