Facing my fears

Share your successes with others
Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:25 am

Yesterday I decided that it was time for me to face a long time fear that I have always avoided, which is my overwhelming fear of heights. So I got in my car and drove about 40 miles out to the columbia river gorge to multnomah falls. It is such a beautiful place and has great hiking trails and very steep drop offs, the hike to the top of the falls is a little over a mile while walking on the edge of cliffs and very scary look outs (in my mind anyways). I started walking up the trail and felt really good and kept continueing on, around the corner I came to the first steep drop off and stopped dead in my tracks, I told myself I was fine and nothing was going to happen and I reluctantly went on, I did this most of the way up and my heart was pounding! The whole time I was going up I really had more of the excited anxious feeling and felt really good about myself just for doing it, anyway, I kept going and I saw a few people on the trail nodded and said how are you doing and kept on going. The views along the way are fantastic and it is hard not to enjoy yourself even though I was terrified at times, I made it to the top of the falls which dropps off 600 feet and looked over the edge (this is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid) and it was scary at first but really exciting a fun. I felt so proud of myself for doing it and kept on hiking further into the wilderness. On my way back down the trail, the fear of the narrow path on the side of all of the steep drop offs didn't even bother me and I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my sholders, when I got all the way back to the bottom where I started I had such a overwhelming feeling of accomplishment and felt so much stronger and more confident and very proud of myself, I never once beat myself up and did what I set out to do!

On the drive home I was thinking of all the other things I wanted to conquer and overcome, it is amazing how much better you feel when you face things instead of sitting at home and feeling sorry for yourself for not doing it.

I am so greatful to come as far as I have in the last three months, I have done so many things already that I never thought I would be able to do, it just goes to show what we are all capable of when we fight the fear and do it anyway, eventually there won't be a fear there anymore.

Thanks for the ongoing support,

Brent

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 am

That's great, Brent! I've been to those falls and they are beautiful! Its funny how our fears are different. Mine would be "who is lurking in the woods" type of fear. :D

What a wonderful accomplishment and that you are so lucky to live close by to visit them.

Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks, its funny, I fear things that I shouldn't and don't fear lots of things that I should.

The reason I am affraid of heights is that I was terrorised when I was very young by my dad and siblings about driving off of cliffs and things of that nature when we would be up in the mountains, and they knew it terrified me so when we were at home my dad would use that fear to make me behave when I was being a problem, by saying something like "if you don't knock it off we are going to drive up to the mountain". I no longer have any anger or blame, I am simply taking my life back and triying to get over all of these little grimlins from my past :)

I am very lucky to live where I do, I am so close to so many beautiful and inspiring places, I am very happy that I am in a place in my life where I can start to enjoy them rather than fear them!

manofmusic

Post by manofmusic » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Now THAT'S an accomplishment ! It sounds like you should've brought a camera with you and posted some of those pics ! The scenery sounds amazing. Congratulations on breaking thru !

Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 am

I didn't even think about taking my camera, maybe I will go back up to the top and take some pics in the next week or two, could be good practice and exercise!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:57 am

Have you been to southern Oregon where the Indian Trails are overlooking the ocean? I think that is what they are called, near Brookings.

Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:21 am

Originally posted by Paisleegreen:
Have you been to southern Oregon where the Indian Trails are overlooking the ocean? I think that is what they are called, near Brookings.
I think so, but not since I was a kid, one of these days I will have to drive down there and check it out.