been through program twice.

Share your successes with others
bob p

Post by bob p » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 am

i feel so frustrated because i have been through the program twice and i always seem to have all these setbacks that i rehash until i am blue in the face. it now brings on depression. i used to just have panic attacks and now i have generalized anxiety which is tough because it is tough to enjoy anything.

Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

This would be the opposite of a triumph, but you are still on the program so I guess it is ;)

How long did you spend on the program each time you went through it? Did you follow all of it to heart?

Best of luck to you, don't give up on yourself, this is the hardest thing I have done in my life but also the best thing I have ever done for myself.

bob p

Post by bob p » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 am

sorry i didnt mean to put this under triumphs. thank you for still wishing me the best. people in this program really are the best. i guess i didnt follow it to heart because i feel like i have so much on my plate like a wife and four kids, a full time job and side job. i really need to put my priorities in order and stick to them. i think i work too much.

melshrooms

Post by melshrooms » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm learning to re-adjust my priorities as well. One thing I'm trying to accept is the idea that I am priority #1. I am worth taking care of. If I'm not well, then I'm not able to fully provide for the other aspects of my life. Your family loves you and wants the best for you. Believe in yourself and treat yourself by commitment to this program and to your well being. You deserve it!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 am

I agree w/ Melshrooms, you need to take care of yourself and just as you suggested, maybe you work too much. I know that my husband does and then I do too much in other activities to deal with the loneliness. Anyway, you're at the right place again. Paislee

bob p

Post by bob p » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:41 am

thanks for the support. i am in the process of cutting back at work. work does pay the bills and is a necessity but usually the more i make the more i spend and we all need to not be so materialistic. i am going to focus on other things like working out, relaxing, helping others and just enjoying the simple things in life like the great outdoors. life is so sweet and i am so glad to have the help from all of you guys in the forum. thanks.

karmatism

Post by karmatism » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:48 am

Hi Bob,

I struggled with the same thing. It's so easy to justify everything else being a priority. I'm a F/T nursing student and I was always saying, "I have to study. I can't just ignore my school work. I have a test." And then I would push the program aside...one day..two days..a week...Finally I told myself that this condition was going to stay with me all through school, and once I was done and for the rest of my life if I kept telling myself it wasn't a priority.

I told myself that even if it was 5 min, I would listen to the CD, work in the workbook or do some practice exercises. Sometimes I would just force myself to spend the entire time in the shower filling my head with positive thoughts. What ended up happening on most days is that I found I actually did have a little more time (time I thought I never had) to work on it and then I got more and more motivated because I was consistently making progress. I don't know about you but if when I'm letting other things in life get in front of the program, I get down on myself and feel like I have tp start all over. Just starting off with the 5 min time commitment made all the difference to me.

And by the way, I also have 4 kids and a husband so I know exactly what you're talking about. It's so hard to try and remember what your supposed to be working on when you've got 5 people trying to get your attention, or making messes or having meltdowns...it never ends. They stress me out like crazy, but I've been telling myself to remember how much I love them and how much joy they bring into my life. They are so funny and they bring energy and life into the house. I know I'll miss it later on.

Good Luck!

bob p

Post by bob p » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

wow karmatism i really appreciate the support. you're right even if i only have 5 min to look at my workbooks is still showing myself that i care about myself and i am worth it. i will make it a priority and you have just started my day off great. have a happy thanksgiving.

karmatism

Post by karmatism » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 am

I'm happy to help!

I wanted to ask if you have really been practicing the material in the program in a systematic way or if you just kind of listened to it? I could be wrong but it seems to me that you might not be incorporating what you're hearing in a way that creates a significant change.

I'm only on week 4, so I'm certainly no guru on the subject but I'm very good at creating systems that work...it's my thing I guess..and I can tell you that when you want to master material like this, you need a system that works for YOU, whatever that is. For me, it means finding a way to fit it around everything else in my life. The only way for me to do that is to have my stuff within reach at all times. I bought a little bag that holds my cd's, my notebook and journal. That way whenever it crosses my mind, and I have those 5 min, the materials are right there. I also jot down everything in my journal! Everything! Somehow having it on paper really helps you evaluate what's going on because you can 'see' it. It's a mess. I have scribbles all over the place and 5 different color pens but I say who cares, it's working for me. I also downloaded every session and the relaxation cd to my ipod. I keep it under my pillow and listen while I fall asleep and sometimes for a few minutes when I wake up.

bob p

Post by bob p » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:20 pm

you are good. you hit it right on the head. i am completely unorganized (even though everyone around would absolutely disagree). i really need to start being more systematic like you say. what i do is start in an organized way then i get two journals and two ipods and two of everything and i just end up stopping everything. you are right i am going to create a system that works for me. this is my chance to organize and start a new beginning. thank you again. and again you are good.