driving on freeways

Share your successes with others
BOB P.

Post by BOB P. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 am

Iam getting ready to take a road trip. It has been a long time. I am scared but i know i must do it. I need to do this for alot of reasons as you can expect. Any advise.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 am

Hi Bob P,
I completed the anxiety program last winter but when I was having major panic, the freeway was so terribly difficult for me. In fact, there were times I just couldn't do it. What I found helpful was to listen to the anxiety CD on thoughts and try to understand that it was not the driving that was actually causing the panic, but something else. Once I figured that out, it was easier to use effective coping skills. Something else that helped was to break down the distance I had to drive mentally. Instead of thinking "Oh God, I have to go 20 miles", I would say to myself, "I only have to go 5 miles", then when I did that, "I only have to go five more miles" and so on. Before I knew it, I was there and so proud that I had done it. Now I go on the freeway and do not give it much thought at all. I don't dread it or worry about it now. I also prayed as I got in the car that I would feel peace and security as I drive. I stilkl do that. I hope this has been a little helpful and just remember, fear is a feeling and we have control over our feelings. Imagine the sense of accomplishment you will feel when you make the trip and focus on how good this will feel!!! Good luck to you! Let me know how you do on the drive! Are you doing the anxiety program? It helped me so so much!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:09 pm

thank you for that great info dinobail.ihave not driven on a highway/freeway for 18 yearz,and
it is very demoralizing. i am new to the StressCenter.com.
almost 40 years old, this is my last stance. i will incorporate wat u did into my battle with this demon (anxiety/phobia).if anyone else can assist me with thier fear of driving experiences i will be forever grateful.... god bless

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:05 am

Hi D,
I am glad you found something useful in my remarks. People who write on this forum know what other people are talking about versus someone who truly does not understand and will say things like "just get over it". Please stick with the program! It was so beneficial to me and I have had panic disorder for 20 years with flare ups off and on. I tried several anti-depressants but had horrid side effects so am now on a low dose anti-anxiety med but have also been able to reduce the dosage on that. I will still occasionally get edgy, but it is not the severe crippling/paralyzing panic attacks as before. One verse I keep in my head is that God has not given me a spirit of fear but of a sound mind. Fear is not from God and perhaps the most important thing I have gained from this experience with panic is that God's word is true, He will never leave me or forsake me. In my darkest hours, it had to be Him that kept me safe. So, that is the good thing that occurred and I think the program also helped me discover an inner strength that had been lacking. So, I will say a prayer for you and everyone on these forums who struggle with these issues. I pray we all find the peace, tranquility and strength that has been promised to us by God. Lucinda's program in my opinion was a gift given to me at just the right time. Talk about divine intervention. Best regards to you.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 am

thank you for the advise. God bless.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:08 pm

thanks for the kind words dino. it really means alot to me, i will keep praying for others as well as myself

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Driving is also one of my battles. I appreciate you all sharing your struggle and insights and steps to overcome this . I did read here on these message boards but I cannot recall where?(sorry) that there is a CD made just for driving and its for sale at StressCenter but you have to call and order it. I think it's called Driving with Comfort or something like that? I am hoping to be able to order that this week.

Lord Bless you all for sharing.

Jilly~

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 pm

I agree with you about using the tapes when I drive, especially the number 10 tape which is the scary thoughts and the what if, the number 8. I had to get my car fixed and I was dreading the long drive. I wasn't in a panic state just an anxious state and I got through it. I was even passing these eighteen wheelers once I got the confidence and I feel I won't be scared anymore. The panic attacks seem to be all
through now. From time to time, I am still anxious and I distinctly remember Lucinda saying what is the worst that can happen and it never ever happens and that puts a smile on my face. Alot of good changes are happening for me like staying in the present moment alot of the time and then you don't feel the anxiety anymore and setting aside a certain time to ponder on my thinking about problems that I have to solve. Stephanie

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:59 am

Best of luck to you. I can't offer much help myself, as I have driving anxiety in general! Hope you can use the program to reduce your anxiety on your trip.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks for your inspiration on driving. I do drive, but still have a bit of anxiety somedays when I drive. What do you suggest?