I think I found help for a 8 year old problem

Share your successes with others
Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 pm

I have had a problem for 8 years and I am starting to believe I am on the road to understanding and dealing with it. I'd rather not say what the issue is, other than it is actually not anxiety or depression related.

I am just so happy that I sense improvement in this area of my life. My views on my problem have changed a little for the better. Tonight I stayed up late exploring a therapy option and I am almost positive I found the right option and therapist.

What's going to be interesting for me is when I write down everything concerning the issue to relay to the therapist.

Again: I am sorry for the non-description about a non anixety/depression issue. I just felt like sharing the start of an impending personal triumph.

:)

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Charlie Brown,
I'm so happy for you...Congratulations. I'm near the end of the program and although it's something different your speaking of...still that has to feel like a big acomplishment. I know Lucinda talks about how we need to eduacate ourselves if there is something in our life that is bothering us. That has helped me alot...to realize I have the ability to help myself be it the A&D or my girls or even my marriage. That helps to give you a healthy self esteem which I know Lucinda talks about in the program. One of the main keys to this program is self worth. We all have the right to feel good and prosper whatever it may be.
Good-luck on your Journey and take care! :)

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:50 am

Thank you! Thank you!
still that has to feel like a big acomplishment.
Exactly!

I just last night decided to put the personal issue on the background for a more pressing issue: anger. There is actually an enjoyalble aspect of the personal issue. With anger there is nothing enjoyable. In fact for me it has a very worrisome element. I worry in getting so angry that I get a heart attack.

I do not want to overload my brain with two issues. I will deal with the more pressing one first.

Anger has been an on and off nemesis for me since I was a child (30-35 years ago.) Thankfully I know what the anger-makers are: my former bank and my next door neighbor. The bank a few weeks ago started calling me ALOT about being only 18 days late on a loan. What had me angry was calling me 4 times in one day, a week later another 4 times again in one day, and then twice in one day. After the first day of 4 calls, I called back to say I am going thru some financial straits and had to pay them my rent. I even gave them my rent amount. Their letter said to let them know if you were going through hard times. (A paragraph later they then mention collection. So the letter goes from Mother Teresa to Tony Soprano. This is another reason for my anger.)

The second day of 4 calls was on the day of the 2nd Presidential debate. At that point I was ticked and decided to call them the next day. It was 8:40 in the morning and they called for the 9th time. I was asleep, home before starting my new job. I called and said I would get the money from my CD--taking the penalty--pay them, and close out the CD all together along with my checking and savings account since they are hounding me for being just 18 days late. I mentioned last year I once missed a month and got no phone calls. The only thing that happened--and it was the right thing to happen--my next month's mailed bill was doubled. Of course there was no comment made by the phone rep about this different scenario from 2007. I told him to note my account that I would pay the bill today and close out the account. One hour later I am literally zipping up my jacket to go to the bank branch and the bank calls me--for the 10th time in two weeks. I yelled at that rep. OMG, I was in collection almost 10 years ago and the collection agencies never hounded me like this? And I am the bank's customer?

That day I paid the loan bill, withdrew my monies from the accounts and waited a week for the last direct deposit from my old job to hit the account. A week ago yesterday I went and offically closed the accounts, telling the account manager his credit department hounding me more than collection agencies for being less than a month late so I am taking my money out.

Yesterday morning @ exactly 8:10 my phone rang, waking me up. It was the bank saying I was late with a payment :eek: :mad:. This woke me up real fast and threw me into a verbal rage. The rage in turn woke my wife. I said I already paid and was just so pissed they're at it again. It wasn't until after I got off the call, and I told my wife, they were calling about this month's loan bill which is a whopping 12 days late :roll: :eek:. If I had known that, I would have ripped the rep a new one about breaking my chops about being only 12 days late. Last time it was because I was 18 days late--now 12?! I told my wife I had told the caller I was going to make the payment now but I changed my mind. I won't and will wait for a call back. (They already have my # on speed dial :D) and make my point about now it's being for 12 days late. Why? A few weeks ago it was for 18 days and now 12--the collection agencies give you 30 days. Why? I will end the conversation by calming wish the bank be the next Lehman Brothers.

I left a phone message for the branch account manager I closed my accounts with. The branch was open but he wasn't in. I told hiim of the 8:10 call now for being 12 days late. He had said he wished he knew of this earlier. He sounded like a genuinely nice guy. I asked him for a supervisor, manager, or VP name in the credit department

I am also looking into bringing this situation to the media. I think they might like a story how during extremely tough economic times a bank is squeezing it's customers for being less than a month late on paying loan bills.

I am also going to start paying the lottery much more. Like I told the account manager and yesterday's caller: if I won the lottery the first thing I would do is not buy something expensive. The first thing I would do is pay off the entire loan and tell the bank to first put the check where the sun doesn't shine ;).

My neighbor lives literally next door to me. He is a loud-mouth who lives alone and has alot of problems with his ex-wife/girlfriend. 3-5 nights a week he is yelling, cursing, and complaining on the phone to her. (It amazes me she stays on the call to listen to all of his spewing.) I hate having to live next to such a mutt. He's never personally bothered me or my wife. I just feel unfortunate and I dispise I have front row seats to hear his verbal outrages and occasional banging on the walls.

I had another stressor which up until this very morning I did not know what it was. I come home from work and for the first minutes in the apartment I felt mad and would take it out on inanimate objects. (I never have taken out my anger on someone physically. Even when my wife does somethings that irks me, I would never touch her. I think anyone that abuses their wife should in turn get abused.) I also curse.

I have been having these post-work flare-ups for the past year. I figured this was do to leaving each day from a job I hated. I resigned from that job almost 3 weeks ago and still come home angry. I wondered what was cause for this. It's not my wife. I am now in a job I like. My health except for a little reflux is much improved. My finances are getting in order. I am back doing entrepruerial projects. So what's going on? It came to me this morning: my return-home anger bouts are from the neighbor. I am going into an enviorment I don't want to be in. After I considered Neighbor as the cause for my evening anger, I felt happy about this possbility and knew I solved this portion of the puzzle.

Interestingly, I looked at my neighbor as a test from God. I am becoming like him. He's angry at his ex, yells, curses, and sometimes bangs the wall. I am angry at him, curse, complain to my wife, and yell at the towel if it falls off the rack :roll:. I do not want to be like Neighbor.

Last night I rediscovered a book on anger I bought several years ago. I also spotted on Amazon two other applicable books. I will stop in a Barnes and Noble one day this week after work and skim the books. I will buy the better book on Amazon because they are cheaper.

I am not happy about the return of my old nemesis but I am happy I am in a great position to deal with it. I admitted I am angry again, have pegged down the reasons, admit once again I am the one making myself angry because it my reaction to the situations which ignites the anger, believe God will help me, and have/will have the approriate books!
we need to eduacate ourselves if there is something in our life that is bothering us. That has helped me alot...to realize I have the ability to help myself
You got that right! ;)

At this point, I will not bring in a "physical" counselor. I have the holy Counselor ;) who I speak with daily. I won't do a counselor for several reasons: I know when to bring in a therapist like when I felt overwhelmed with health anxiety two years ago and wasn't getting anywhere with my own efforts. I also am a little fearful a therapist will predict me getting physically violent. I have had this anger on/off for 30 years and I've never hurt anyone, including myself. I also don't want to get a dark prediction and start worrying about it. I don't needed an added element to my anger issue. Finally, other than books I don't want to spend money on a therapist for something I have overcome before on my own.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 am

CharlieBrown,
It is great to hear the hope and determination in your 'voice' Good luck and my prayers are with you on this journey.
Goodwillchic

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:12 am

Hey goodwillchic! :)

Thanks for the reply here. I know we had our thread in the General Comments area. Forgive me but I will get to that later. I am emotionally depleted from the journaling here and also have to get lunch for the mrs. and I.

Thanks for well-wishes.

jinxie

Post by jinxie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:23 am

Hey charlie Brown,
I'm so glad that you just let it all come flooding out! I feel this is a safe place to do that. You sound like you know what the issues are and your taking action to deal with them. You know...we seem to always want to look outside of ourselves alot for reasurance and someone more "eduacated". That may sound like a condradiction since were doing this program. I say that to say this...we do have to pray and seek out what God wants. He knows are every desire..we just have to ask for it. It may not come in "our" time but keep the faith it will come in his time.
Something that has helped me with the anger issue is what Lucinda talks about on one of the audios. About a man who can not stand his boss and how he was so mad at him from Fri til Mon. about the situation.
She say's "well if you didn't like him so much then why did you invite him over to stay the weekend" "Why did you introduce him to your wife and kids"
That for me was a defining moment. That boss more than likely didn't think of him or his feelings for that whole weekend. So why did He! Awseme analogy of the crap we put on ourselves.
For me I have to ask myself..is it really worth my time? What can I do Right Now to difuse the situation or resolve. I don't want this to spill over into my personal life. It want always work out "perfectly" But what does!!!
I still go back to that sesion when I feel things are out of balance. It helps me tremendously!
If you feel like it keep us updated on your success. :) You know we all succeed daily...we just don't give ourselves credit. It doesn't have to be something Huge! to be a success. If you tried then that's a success(in my book). :) :) :)

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 am

Hi ya Karen.

I am so tired--primarily emotionally.

It has been a very emotional weekend. Late Friday I was getting frustrated at work at myself for having difficulty in understanding the computer system at my new job. Yesterday it was aggravating with the bank, an error in ordering online last night added to the annoyance, and then the realizations about the anger. Tomorrow before work I have to call the company about the ordering error.

I am going to bed early tonight.

Thanks again for the replies.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Hey Charlie, I hope you are doing well. I don't want to upset you, but I must comment on the problem you were having with your bank. First, I work in a bank so I am familliar with what you were discussing. Just so you know, you have a ten day "grace period" from the date that the loan is due. So if you are up to ten days late, thats OK.But beyond that they have to call you and demand an answer.Please remember they do not know what you are going through personally, just explain it to them. They have a job to do, I'm sure they don't like ita any better than you do!! Also offer to make any payment you can. Even if it's not the full amount. They will know that you are making an effort. I always say to a customer in your situation that we do understand, we'll accept whatever they can give us today, that we know times are tough and that we appreciate any effort toward a payment. We are told never to refuse anything. As long as you are not very far behind your bank should have been ALOT more accomidating. Especially if you have a cd there.
I'm sorry I just had to say that. I really do hope everything is ok with you and your anger issues. Trust in God you will be ok. You should read anything from Joel Osteen. He is a very positive guy. I think he can help you.He has helped me . Best of luck to ya!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 pm

This is why this board is wonderful! Thank you, thank you. star 12.

Thanks for the explanation about banking procedures. What burns my bridges is that last year I missed a month--no calls, just the next month's bill was naturally doubled. Now? 4x in one day one week. 4x another day the following week. A 9th call the following week @ 8:40 am, I call back and say I am going to pay that day and then over an hour later a 10th call? What happened the rep on the 9th call didn't note I was paying that day?

10 calls in 2 weeks?

Plus their first letter starts off sounding like Mother Teresa with "Let us know if you are going through tough financial times." Then a paragraph or two later it mentions being sent to collections. So the letter went from Mother Teresa to Tony Soprano? Please don't get me wrong: I am not questioning or yelling at you. It's just that this overly aggresive calling and the bi-polar letter is so off the charts. When I was 10 years ago in collections because of numerous bills, none of the agencies called me like this. And during my callback after the first group of 4 calls, I did say I was in financial straits and had to pay my rent. I even gave them my rent amount.

My options?

Option 1: include my cut up bank card with my next mailed payment. (Probably unlikely.)

Option 2: tell them on their next round of calls I hope they are the next Lehman Brothers. (More likely to occur.)

Option 3: play the lottery much more hoping to win not to get a Ferrari but to present the bank with the full amount (already started playing) and telling them before cashing the check to put it where the sun doesn't shine (Probably unlikely.)

BTW: That account manager never called me back.

I am actually feeling better about this whole bank (and the idiot neighbor) situation. Last I found another two books on anger and avoiding getting upset about things that I had bought several years ago. I completed the first one I spoke of earlier and will start the other two I rediscoverd last night.

I have heard good things about Joel Osteen. I am a big Joyce Meyer fan. I will check him out. One of the two rediscovered books is a Christian based one.

One final note before I go to sleep--feeling much better than last night (helped also by having a great day on the new job). I know my above options aren't too Christian but I am still working on my old take from a Scripture. "Justice is mine, says the Lord." I used to say, "Yeah, but I want a piece of the action." :D ;)