I want to share some good news!

Share your successes with others
Sidd

Post by Sidd » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Hello everyone:

I've been working on my recovery for the past 6 months and I want to share with you, especially the ones that are fairly new to the program, some success I've been experiencing. This road to recovery I'm on is loaded with ups and downs and steps forward and many steps back. I've had several setbacks and have been discourage countless times along the way. Each time I've reached out to this forum for support and advice, it has been my life line. I think this program is excellent. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination...but it is solid. Last January I started experiencing crippling panic attacks. The first one I had was on the way to a bank 30 minutes from my house. It was horrible as you all know too well, but then the cascade of panic attacks and constant anxiety along with obsessions followed for several months thereafter until I started this program. I had a great summer, but the Fall has been challenging for me as my stress level has seriously increased. Long story short....I've had the worst time going to the doctor apts and more specifically, getting my annual mamograms. My mother and sister are breast cancer survivors but my dear sister-in-law unfortunatly did not survive. Anyways, I had my mamogram scheduled for last evening and I went to the hospital....without any problems, anxiety, thoughts, or hesitation. I couldn't believe how much at ease I was. I felt completely normal. Also, I went to the bank today, the very same bank where the first attack occured last January, the very same bank where I have such anxiety just thinking about going to. I havn't been there for a couple of months, and today I woke up, went for my walk and off to the bank I went...again, without hesitation, anxiety, fear, or panic! Totally calm, totally normal. Two places which in the past caused me such pain and fear. Last week I was in a meeting with my boss and felt my heart start to race and was a bit spacey, but I slouch a little in my chair, took a breath and continued with the meeting. She never knew what was happening to me, and I allowed this mini attack to occur and paid as little attention to it as possible...then it disappeared, quickly.

Again...I'm actually in a bit of a setback right now, my stomach is turning alot lately, my obsessions are back with a vengence and I can feel tension in my neck...however, I'm not letting all that bother me. I'm going about my business, all the while feeling the symptoms and reminding myself that all this will pass and my body is healing every day.

I just want to let the folks that are feeling discouraged to know that road to recovery is sometimes slow and frustrating. Keep moving forward through it all....somehow it all falls into place. I'll continue to read and listen to the cd's. I'm in the process of reprograming all that negitive talk so I know it will take more time. Hang in there....take really good care of yourselves and stay loyal to the program. There is light!

Sincerely,
Lynn

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Lynn- It is so important to hear from others who are having a successful journey after much struggle. I too find that the more repetition we put into the program, we will find new tips and tricks to make it fall into place. Practice makes perfect. Thanks for sharing that. -J

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Thank you Lynn,
It is humbling to know that we will each face those ups and downs but if we stick with the system, we will be fine!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:17 pm

Originally posted by Sidd:
Hello everyone:

I've been working on my recovery for the past 6 months and I want to share with you, especially the ones that are fairly new to the program, some success I've been experiencing. This road to recovery I'm on is loaded with ups and downs and steps forward and many steps back. I've had several setbacks and have been discourage countless times along the way. Each time I've reached out to this forum for support and advice, it has been my life line. I think this program is excellent. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination...but it is solid. Last January I started experiencing crippling panic attacks. The first one I had was on the way to a bank 30 minutes from my house. It was horrible as you all know too well, but then the cascade of panic attacks and constant anxiety along with obsessions followed for several months thereafter until I started this program. I had a great summer, but the Fall has been challenging for me as my stress level has seriously increased. Long story short....I've had the worst time going to the doctor apts and more specifically, getting my annual mamograms. My mother and sister are breast cancer survivors but my dear sister-in-law unfortunatly did not survive. Anyways, I had my mamogram scheduled for last evening and I went to the hospital....without any problems, anxiety, thoughts, or hesitation. I couldn't believe how much at ease I was. I felt completely normal. Also, I went to the bank today, the very same bank where the first attack occured last January, the very same bank where I have such anxiety just thinking about going to. I havn't been there for a couple of months, and today I woke up, went for my walk and off to the bank I went...again, without hesitation, anxiety, fear, or panic! Totally calm, totally normal. Two places which in the past caused me such pain and fear. Last week I was in a meeting with my boss and felt my heart start to race and was a bit spacey, but I slouch a little in my chair, took a breath and continued with the meeting. She never knew what was happening to me, and I allowed this mini attack to occur and paid as little attention to it as possible...then it disappeared, quickly.

Again...I'm actually in a bit of a setback right now, my stomach is turning alot lately, my obsessions are back with a vengence and I can feel tension in my neck...however, I'm not letting all that bother me. I'm going about my business, all the while feeling the symptoms and reminding myself that all this will pass and my body is healing every day.

I just want to let the folks that are feeling discouraged to know that road to recovery is sometimes slow and frustrating. Keep moving forward through it all....somehow it all falls into place. I'll continue to read and listen to the cd's. I'm in the process of reprograming all that negitive talk so I know it will take more time. Hang in there....take really good care of yourselves and stay loyal to the program. There is light!

Sincerely,
Lynn

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Hello!Okay I meant to only quote a part of the post.Sorry. :roll:I wanted to quote the part where Sidd says "I just want to let folks that are feeling discouraged to know that road to recovery is sometimes slow and frustrating.Keep moving forward through it all....somehow it all falls into place."This is very true.Slowly but surely it does start to fall into place.Take care guys.Like I said I'm sorry about the mess up.I've never tried to quote before.