One year anniversary

Share your successes with others
bna

Post by bna » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 pm

One year ago this week, I finished the program with the assistance of a coach. I cannot even believe how far I have come. It's totally amazing. I feel FREE. I can make decisions not based in fear anymore. I can recognize negative/crap thinking and replace it with soothing, comforting thoughts. I now can recognize my what-if, scary drepressive thinking. i automatically begin my breathing exercises. I do not run anymore to others to calm and reassure me. I am my OWN safe person and it's wonderful.

I lived my own life with severe anxiety, frequent daily panic attacks and depression. I was stuck in the past obessessing with guilt and afraid to live my life in case I made a mistake. I was the most neagtive person you could meet. I was a perfectionist, all or nothing, controlling person.

I still am some of those things but I am able to recognize when these tendencies are getting of of control.

I thank God I found this program and learned these skills. My life is wonderful and I am excited to get up everyday. I no longer dread getting out of bed fearing the anxious/negative scary, thoughts, and the panic attacks. I still face the same challenges everyday but I now have a positive attitude, a can do attitude.

Just this past week, I felt some of the anxious/ scary thinking and body symptoms starting to rear its ugly head. It took me a little bit to figure out what was bothering me but I told myself "its just my anxiety and to float through it" and itpassed.

So for all those out there, just starting the program or in the program and losing their motivation. You can do this. You are worth it.

I wish you all well on your journey to recovery. I wish you freedom and happiness. It is possible. Take care and God Bless.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Congratulations, BNA!
You sound so very happy and at peace!
My best to you every day!!!
MaryJane

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:49 am

BNA...That is great news...You need to post a lot more often...Congratulations...God Bless!!!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:56 pm

I love that so many people can relate to what you said, I see myself in your writing, and so do many others. Your an inspiration, and your success will help others to succeed as well. Thanks for sharing!!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I can see myself in what you have written as well. Congratulations on your new life!!! I look forward to my new life and I know it's coming, I can feel it :)

Post by Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 3:41 pm

myturn...You sure do have the right name!!!
I totally agree, and now it is "YOUR TURN" :)

Post by Guest » Sat May 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I am so so so so so proud to hear of your positive experience, energy, thoughts and ability to defeat panic attacks and scary thoughts. The fact that you feel "free" makes me smile. I, too, cannot wait for the day when I feel like I am no longer a prisoner in my own body. I have made it so far already and accomplished amazing things...but I know I'm not out of the woods yet.

Do you by any chance have advice about week 6 (anger?) Because I have been stuck on week 6 for over a month now. If you don't mind sharing, what techniques did you use to get all of the repressed anger out?

thanks!
You're doing fabulous!

Post by Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 3:26 am

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. Yes I do feel free and I have a new found sense of confidence. I feel like I can handle anything that comes my way. For me, there is no more it has to be perfect to be ok.

What is so awesome is I am my own safe person. I no longer need to run to everyone to make me feel better or say yes, you did the right thing.

I stopped seeing my therapsit about 2 months ago because she had a medical issue she needed to address. My husband said to me back about 6 months ago you have the skills from the program you need to start doing this yourself.

I was so angry and frightened about being what I felt was abandoned. I felt like a little bird being tossed from the nest learning how to fly.
Now I feel like an eagle soaring above the clouds. When it feels like the storms are rising up, I don't fight/struggle, I just glide. (I know it sounds a little corny but I picture myself this way)

Anger still is for me a tough one. I am working on recognizing my overreactive personality. Lesson 4 on control was huge for me. I spent alot of time reviewing this lesson and some time on lesson 6 on anger. I journal alot when something is bothering me so that I can figure out what's behing it.

I also try to workout regularly and manage my diet. What also helped me was reading the Bible.
I began to really study the spirit of self control.

I also take a timeout from any situation in which I feel like I'm beginning to overreact. I learned this from having three very active kids. Whne I see them beginning to lose it, they visit the "reflection step" what its called in our house. So I started applying it to myself. It has helped me.

I can hardly recognize who I am anymore. When I look at how far I have come, I can hardly believe it. My life is not perfect. I still have challenges everyday with stress like everyone but I no longer overreact to it. When things to begin to feel weird or anxious, I stop, practice my breathing and use my self talk.

I have had a lot of health issues going on this last month, mammogram follow up for a suspicious something, abnormal GYN situation which required secong biopsy,in the last 4 months, an a life-threathing reaction to nuts I accidentally ingested and had to be admitted overnight to the hospital, last week. But what's so amazing to me is even just a few months ago, I would have been completely and totally paralyzed with anxiety, fear, and panic attacks. I would not be able to function in any capacity. But I am functioning and I am more importantly "living" my life.

It takes alot of work but we can overcome this.
We need to stop trying to live the rest of our lives in this present moment. Now I live "this day" no longer the past and no longer the future. Just this present day.

I believe God led me to this program because I was trying to control myself and everything around me. Once I realized that this was God's job and that he had a plan for me things have fallen into place for me.

So to all, I wish you continued success on your journey to recovery. It IS POSSIBLE. Never stop believing in yourselves. You are all so worth it.

Take care and God Bless.

Post by Guest » Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 am

Your messge is truly heaven sent! Thanks for the inspiration! Peace and God bless you and yours and everyone else in this program as well ;)

Post by Guest » Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Congratulations. Doesn't it feel great! I too was able to take back my life and myself due to this program. I finished it 2 years ago and I just keep getting stronger & stronger.